Page 54 of 62  •  Prev 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 62 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 7:39PM #531
Yavanna

I think visiting Dar would require an elastic waistband! ;)

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 9:23PM #532
mainecaptain

Mar 19, 2011 -- 6:44PM, BetteTheRedde wrote:

Arrived safely at Dar's after a long, but interesting drive (tried a new route - successfully, avoiding ALL tolls and easy enough that I only got turned around once).

We are having a wonderful time, cooking and yacking and catching up. Last night's dinner was stuffed poblanoes, re-fried beans and a mesclun salad. Dessert was a rather wonderful invention that involved phyllo pastry, organic cream cheese and an apple pear compote. We'd love some help thinking of a name for it - it's very tasty. Today, we've largely nibbled and shopped for more food. Dar is NOT very good at emptying fridges - she just keeps finding new things to combine with existing things.

I will have to get busy figuring out how to slip plants over the border. ;-)

Sounds wonderful and delicious :))

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 10:08PM #533
darcamani

I emptied 2 olive bottles...this made room for 2 very large sandwiches, I don't know what Bette is talking about.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 10:15PM #534
Yavanna

Mar 19, 2011 -- 10:08PM, darcamani wrote:

I emptied 2 olive bottles...this made room for 2 very large sandwiches, i don't know what bette is talkong about.

Dar

You criminal mastermind, you make her eat all the evidence!

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2011 - 1:42PM #535
darcamani

LOL; Bette did not eat the olives, they became a tapanade for a muffeletta.   I had a large loaf of cuban style bread that absorbs oil beautifully, chopped every olive in the house which took up 3 jars, and replaced it with a 18 inches of big fat sandwhich. :) loaded with 3 meats  cheese and lettuce just because it needed something a little less salty.  So, yes it took up more room...

Then there are the kale and carmelized onion phyllo pasty dough triangles,  5 ingredients turned into 15 things, go figure!  So we made sweet, (yesterday)  and savory, (today) pastry thingys, that require a name and are reproduceble because Bette wrote down EVERYTHING. Sort of a hill billy spanokopita.

And then, there is the chicomole salad.  That is lunch. She wrote all that down too.  That has fresh chick peas, carrots, avocado and salsa fresca with a bit of onion and cilantro. that is happen' in a pita.

2 leo sisters, doing what we do best, yak, cook, and eat while bitching about things we cannot change.

Going back to the farmers market for ??? Fun, I tell ya, getting there right while the after church crowd gets there.  I think we are getting pita bread and soda. 

We shall see.

dar

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 5:45PM #536
darcamani

We went to the farmers market, we did not come out with pita ...

No pita.

The muffeletta?  Left that at G.L's house, along with milk, eggs and cheese. 

John picked that up yesterday  because I made him lunch for the week.    He is set, my boys have milk and I have eggs and memories.

Bette and me, leo sisters.  We cooked, we listened to folk music and yaked. 

I am still eating our chicamole.

This is something that really works from day 1 to day 3.

Thing is, it requires fresh chick peas.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2011 - 1:32PM #537
Yavanna

Insurance hasn't kicked in at the new job yet so I'm out sick and I can't afford to be seen or get the antibiotics I need. God bless the U.S.A. huh?

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 7:02AM #538
darcamani

((Yavanna)) I hope you are finally feeling better, this winter/spring has been tough on you. 

Life here is on the crazy good end of things.

I chaperoned my sons' 8th grade class trip to Colonial Williamsburg 3 day 2 night  trip with 140 13/14 yos and 10 adults.

Controlled chaos.  Lots of fun.  And I get to do this next year with no.2 son. :) What a trip!

I was asked to do a Hershey Park trip too, I gently bowed out of that one, I have been there with just my 2 sons, and there is not enough... to get me to go back, we ended up camping and had more fun.  Multiply that by 140... uh, no.

Settlement is 12 days away!  G.L and me are still in ,"that is mine" mode, lol.  Sure it is, but it is only a jar of spaghetti sauce, hon...it will end up in the same place. :)

Solved that problem last night. Ate it. :)

So we are packing and dealing with separation anxiety.  Lots to do be do be do!

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2011 - 11:59AM #539
darcamani

On a lighter note...

Settlement is less than 24 hours away, we start officially looking at what we bought as a home, empty, tomorrow.  Our last walk thrus still had seller's furniture and other belongings.

So we get the real truth tomorrow, the keys Friday and begin moving in, Saturday. G.L has 1 month to get completely moved, I have 6 weeks.

Just learned her ex is getting married the end of May. Wow.

Here in DE. We are still working on SB 30 which adresses domestic partnership.  Why are they getting married? The rights they get.

Yep.

Even though G.L and I are moving in and setting up our family, we still can't be legally married.

Her ex, met a woman and bang!  Married and settled by this  June.  G.L. will be barely out of her old home and settled into new.

Talk about head spinning.

They invited us to the wedding... Oh my, I am touched but not that touched.

Anyway, cleared out my pantry and pickins are slim, anyone want to order pizza?

((All))

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 9:16PM #540
BetteTheRedde

That is so exciting, {{{Dar}}} & {{{DarFamily}}}}. I am looking forward to seeing the home that you and GL and the boys create together.

Come on over to my house for hummus and pita and shepherd's pie. We did a Christian Seder/Maundy Thursday meal at the church last night; I provided the roasted lamb legs, and quarts of fresh homemade hummus and bags of pita breads (some homemade). My little kitchen has been a whir of delightful-smelling, chaotic but productive activity all week. IThe pita breads sure were fun to play with. In a 500 degree oven, they go from flat to puffed up like a ball to burnt in about 35 seconds.The trick is to catch them at the end of the puffed up stage and fling them into a damp tea towel.

And I made shepherd's pie from the last bits of lamb on the bone tonight. Tomorrow will tell if the bone turns into an Irish barley soup or gets donated to the dog.

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 54 of 62  •  Prev 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 ... 62 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook