Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ask an Apologist: Should we let our children play with a lesbian couple's child?
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 6:55PM #41
Elluminati
I don't see why it shouldn't be on these boards, as long as it stays relevant to Christianity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 6:55PM #42
wohali
When I was a kid my folks let me play with the Catholic kid that lived on the next street........:cool:
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 6:57PM #43
Elluminati
WG,

What did I say that didn't make sense to you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 6:59PM #44
White-Dove
[QUOTE=REteach;28725]Can you frequently find letters to the editor about how bad you are?  Are people trying to pass laws to be sure you can't get married? 

Being Jewish is closer, but being anti-semitic has become more socially unacceptable.  Most people aren't expecting Jewish kids to enjoy singing Christmas carols in public schools any more. 

For those who are gay in the US, the barrage of negativity can be unrelenting. 

The reason Beliefnet had to start a sexual orientation discussion (and I'm not so sure that a couple of these threads shouldn't be there) is because of the horrendous flame wars that blew up on threads and could start to dominate boards.  If I was constantly faced with what I see gay folk facing, it would affect me.  I don't know how they deal with it.  I have the utmost respect for those who can come through the barrage of disrespect and not only survive but thrive.[/QUOTE]

We're discussing children here, REteach. I grew up in the 60s and yes, there was overt anti-Semitism even then. My mother grew up in the 30's in a Catholic neighborhood and definately experienced overt prejudice that most likely a child of gay parents today wouldn't experience. She was assaulted by snowballs and verbally abused by Catholic children regularly. Not only that, she lost over 100 relatives to Hitler in Europe.

I think you need to broaden your heart. You are fixated on one issue. No, not everyone will accept us, it's up to us to create our own happiness. I love that movie "It's a Beautiful Life" it epitomises that spirit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 7:03PM #45
whirlinggal
Ell--we could start with your statement that people shouldn't be talking about their beliefs here.

That came right after I said that Jesus taught us how to treat our neighbors--and it wasn't like anything the "apologist" or the neighbor said.

WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 7:05PM #46
Elluminati
No, I said no such thing, could you quote that for me please?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 7:05PM #47
whirlinggal
White Dove--but isn't a part of "Creating our own happiness" how we treat other people?

Do you want the neghbors to shun--or worse--their lesbian neighbors because your mother was treated very badly by stupid and prejudiced people?

WGal
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 7:05PM #48
REteach
[QUOTE=Elluminati;28728]Reteach,

You see the problem is, that you don't get to decide whether or not the two are divisible.
.[/QUOTE]

Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.  Nuremburg.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 7:10PM #49
White-Dove
[QUOTE=whirlinggal;28760]White Dove--but isn't a part of "Creating our own happiness" how we treat other people?

Do you want the neghbors to shun--or worse--their lesbian neighbors because your mother was treated very badly by stupid and prejudiced people?

WGal[/QUOTE]

I think I stated that I would not shun the children, as long as they were well behaved. :cool: Did you miss that post?  :confused:
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2007 - 7:10PM #50
REteach
[QUOTE=White-Dove;28747]We're discussing children here, REteach. I grew up in the 60s and yes, there was overt anti-Semitism even then. My mother grew up in the 30's in a Catholic neighborhood and definately experienced overt prejudice that most likely a child of gay parents today wouldn't experience. She was assaulted by snowballs and verbally abused by Catholic children regularly. Not only that, she lost over 100 relatives to Hitler in Europe.

I think you need to broaden your heart. You are fixated on one issue. No, not everyone will accept us, it's up to us to create our own happiness. I love that movie "It's a Beautiful Life" it epitomises that spirit.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed my point.  It was that overt anti-semitism was indeed hurtful.  It has gotten better.  Not gone, but better.  Would you like to be treated as Jews were in Germany in 1939-1945? 

It is still socially acceptable not only to denigrate gay people, but to pass laws against them.  When was the last law passed against Judaism in the US?

BTW, I am not fixated on only gay rights. I am also fixated on universal health care.  I don't like seeing people being hurt.  I especially don't like seeing people hurt in the name of God.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook