7 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2007 - 8:57PM #1
Merope
In her webcast of October 16, the Presiding Bishop said "there will be no outcasts in this church."

In making the statement, Jefferts Schori referred specifically to the sentiment expressed by one of her predecessors, +Edmond Browning, who was fond of saying, "in this church there will be no outcasts."

Specifically, Jefferts Schori said (from the linked article):

[size=-1]"I concur [with former Presiding Bishop Browning's statement], and I challenge each one of us to consider who it is we would most like to be rid of," she said. "That person, my friends, is the image of Christ in our midst. There will be no outcasts in this church, whether because of sexual orientation or theological perspective. God has given us to each other, to love and to learn from each other.  May God bless each and every part of this body."[/size]

What do you think about +Jefferts Schori's remarks?  Do you think anyone should be cast out of TEC?  Do you feel like an outcast in TEC - either because you are gay or because your theological perspective differs from that of the House of Bishops or General Convention? 

(FYI, the full text of +Jefferts Schori's comments and a link for on-demand viewing of the webcast are included in the link above.)
Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 17, 2008 - 11:00AM #2
Dutch777
newkerala.com/one.php?action=fullnews&id=61454 In the spirit of inclusiveness let's broaden the title to "No Outcasts In TEC Or The SPCA". 

Those who decry Gayness as "unnatural" will be pleased to note that Gayness is exhibited throughout the animal kingdom.  Seems to me that anything found in "nature" is totally "natural".

Enjoy.:)
:)
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 6:44PM #3
Ratchet
For me, as an outsider, looking in, one of the things I find very appealing about the Episcopal Church is Bishop Gene Robinson.

Here is a man, most churches would not want him, would not allow him to reach such a status and yet here he is in the Episcopal Church. It shows you that no matter what you are welcome in the Episcopal Church. You do not have to even be homosexual to appreciate this. To be welcome, to know that you are welcome, that in itself means a lot to many people.

Maybe it is greedy of me but when I see Gene Robinson I cannot help thinking perhaps there is a place, even for me. Which is why it bothers me so much to see all the arguments and anger resulting over it. This is one of the parts I admire most about the Episcopal Church. It would make me very very sad to loose that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2008 - 11:38PM #4
Zachguy18
[QUOTE=Ratchet;865603]For me, as an outsider, looking in, one of the things I find very appealing about the Episcopal Church is Bishop Gene Robinson.

Here is a man, most churches would not want him, would not allow him to reach such a status and yet here he is in the Episcopal Church. It shows you that no matter what you are welcome in the Episcopal Church. You do not have to even be homosexual to appreciate this. To be welcome, to know that you are welcome, that in itself means a lot to many people.

Maybe it is greedy of me but when I see Gene Robinson I cannot help thinking perhaps there is a place, even for me. Which is why it bothers me so much to see all the arguments and anger resulting over it. This is one of the parts I admire most about the Episcopal Church. It would make me very very sad to loose that.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, Gene Robinson becoming a bishop has created a huge divide in the Anglican communion.  As much as I agree with the topic title, being a gay Episcopalian myself, the truth is that not every single church believes it, regardless of whether they have remained in the communion or joined Akinola.  And that is their right under the terms of "via media".

Still, it is a very gay friendly atmosphere, and every person that I have outed myself to at our local parish has been very supportive.  Of every single church I've been to, I've never felt more welcome than at the Episcopal church.  It is truly a place of hospitality, even between opponents.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2008 - 12:34AM #5
Ratchet
Perhaps it is just me, perhaps I am wrong as I am not Christian but I do not see how the violence and cruelty that arises from this issue can be said to be in the name of Jesus. Even if a person thinks homosexuality the gravest of sins, mind you I do not, but even if someone does, that does not justify the way some people treat homosexuals. I think the true abomination is the way some people behave. :-(
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2008 - 8:43AM #6
journeying
Years ago I asked our Lutheran pastor if being clergy isn't frustrating because there seems to have been little progress in the last 2000 years.  I asked that of a bunch of clergy at the ordinations yesterday.  They all say they have to keep trying.  This is just one issue.

Shel
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook