Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Reason better than Religious Defense
7 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 12:15PM #21
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=hyoka;14320]
Most “religious” folks that I know admit that they don’t agree 100% with all of the ’dogma’ of their church anyway[/QUOTE]

Look at how many Catholics use birth control, regardless of what their church says. Good for them I say.

[QUOTE=hyoka;14320]
and a lot of them really don’t want to believe that me and other gay folks that they know are the ‘demons’  that their church dogma makes us out to be   so they just don’t believe it…..period …end of subject.[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is, relatively few, if any, of the churches teach that 'demons' were presumed to be the cause of diseases like blindness or deafness. Of course, we know germ theory is the explanation now. Much confusion on these issues could be cleared up if these churches would show a bit of honesty with respect to what the word 'demon' originally meant, and why it has no validity whatsoever in modern times.

[QUOTE=hyoka;14320]
“Love the homos but hate their sin” [/QUOTE]

The idea that sexualiy is a sin is fallacious and sad, if you ask me. The health benefits of sex are well documented, as are the emotional benefits within relationship. Further, it is as silly as saying knives are 'bad' or 'evil.' A knife may be used to murder, or to cut up food to feed a child. Sex in and of itself is neither good nor bad, but may be constructive or destructive depending on the intent behind it. It's shame how many people can't see that, due solely to false relgions teachings.
[QUOTE=hyoka;14320]

BTW…itsacrucifiction   Some times I agree that a lot of religion is a “Delusion” [/QUOTE]

At the same time, the most delusional religions are often the most controversial, on which the media feeds. This can leave a very warped view of religion. There are many religions on the forefront of social movements, like social acceptance of us queers. Those religions rarely get airplay, because rude protests at the funerals of gays sell more ads.

[QUOTE=hyoka;14320]
but  there are religions that say it’s ALL an “Illusion” anyway.  I like to think that the ‘Delusional’ parts of religion are just an effort to get a little more control over the ‘Illusion’. :D:[/QUOTE]

I don't percieve delusion in allegory or metaphor, but only when allegory or metaphor is accepted literally.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2007 - 12:17PM #22
itsacrucifiction
[QUOTE=REteach;15901]
The unfortunate thing is that means gay folk have to go  through the fire of prejudice first.[/QUOTE]

I should consider myself lucky I suppose. I have been met with overwhelming acceptance from heteros since coming out of the closet years and years ago.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2007 - 2:21PM #23
SquirleyWurley
I think everybody had some good thoughts, here.  One thing that stood out for me was Bette's post (Hey Bette, good to see you here on the 'new' site!)

BetteTheRedde wrote:

Although I would probably be described as religious, I will be the first to point out that people choose their religion to accommodate their pre-existing prejudices.

And ultimately, I agree that few people overcome prejudice via intellectual exercises. Most of them get to know, and love, a gay person.

I suppose choices involving religion or partners, etc., are just so personal and emotional that it takes something very personal and emotional to revise such choices.

It does seem that choice of religion is something like falling in love.  "Woe be to he who dost defame mine chosen one -- wildst thou accept mine challenge -- a duel to his honor"

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 26, 2007 - 1:13PM #24
piecesofthewhole
I agree that often acceptance comes from experience... if you know someone of a certain group or whatever, and you see they're a human being, just like you... it makes it harder to use a broad brush to dismiss that group with a one dimensional brush.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 7:30PM #25
dawill
I have no argument with any religion that does not accept me as Gay.
Though some are more tolerant than others about it.
That is their belief and just as I want them to accept me as Gay I therefore must accept that their religion does not allow practising homosexuals.
Being Gay does not give me any rights to demand someone should change their beliefs or way of life just  because it upsets me.  That would be hypocritical.
If I join a club and they have a set of rules to abide by.
What gives me the right to say I don't like one of their rules and will ignore it.
Or demand that they change it.
If I knew the rules to begin with, and I knew I didn't like a certain rule,  then the answer is don't join the club.  I go and find a club whose rules I agree with.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2007 - 8:40PM #26
REteach
The problem though, as I see it dawill, is that many of the homophobes are hypocrites.  They do not want to be treated as they are more than willing to treat you. The core of Christianity should be treating others as we treat ourselves.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 8:42PM #27
SquirleyWurley
Another problem is that the way religious people treat homosexuals is nothing near the way most homosexuals would want to treat ANYONE at all.

I simply do not want to return torture-threats with torture-threats.  Their god is a monstrous judge sentencing homosexuals to torture, and they are evil imbeciles on that issue.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2007 - 10:10PM #28
alezandar

dawill wrote:

I have no argument with any religion that does not accept me as Gay.
Though some are more tolerant than others about it.
That is their belief and just as I want them to accept me as Gay I therefore must accept that their religion does not allow practising homosexuals.
Being Gay does not give me any rights to demand someone should change their beliefs or way of life just  because it upsets me.  That would be hypocritical.
If I join a club and they have a set of rules to abide by.
What gives me the right to say I don't like one of their rules and will ignore it.
Or demand that they change it.
If I knew the rules to begin with, and I knew I didn't like a certain rule,  then the answer is don't join the club.  I go and find a club whose rules I agree with.

This precisely have always been my argument with both heteros
and homosexuals! we live in a free society where we are not   
obligated to join or even agree with a particular group! if I join a
group that does not accept me because of my sexuality I simply
walk away and move on to another that will, that simple!
I honestly don't see how complicated is that to understand?
well maybe is just me! and since I am very comfortable in my
own skin I could care less if religious person accepts me or not!!
excellent topic!!

Leandro

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 1:10AM #29
Genocon

alezandar wrote:

if I join a
group that does not accept me because of my sexuality I simply
walk away and move on to another that will, that simple!
I honestly don't see how complicated is that to understand?
well maybe is just me!

I think the issue lies with the fact that many groups that do not accept us don't just leave it at that. Many of them also actively work against us, whether religiously, politically, or even physically.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2007 - 9:23AM #30
piecesofthewhole
[QUOTE=Genocon;45353]I think the issue lies with the fact that many groups that do not accept us don't just leave it at that. Many of them also actively work against us, whether religiously, politically, or even physically.[/QUOTE]

Precisely.

When desegregation happened and white communities got all up in arms about having to accept blacks living with them, going to school with their children etc... are you suggesting that black people should have just shrugged their shoulders and said, "well, they don't want to accept us... it's wrong to force them, let's go home"?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook