Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Reason better than Religious Defense
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 4:40PM #41
brjohnbc
Hey Bette!

Tried the rose thing ... thorns get stuck between your teeth ... LOL

Now just picture a 300 lb monk dressed in black doing the ballet thing .... scary isn't it?

Blessings
Bro. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2007 - 4:40PM #42
brjohnbc
Hey Bette!

Tried the rose thing ... thorns get stuck between your teeth ... LOL

Now just picture a 300 lb monk dressed in black doing the ballet thing .... scary isn't it?

Blessings
Bro. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2007 - 7:52PM #43
shrinebuilder
[QUOTE=dawill;43113]
Being Gay does not give me any rights to demand someone should change their beliefs or way of life just  because it upsets me.  That would be hypocritical.

If I join a club and they have a set of rules to abide by.
What gives me the right to say I don't like one of their rules and will ignore it.
Or demand that they change it.
If I knew the rules to begin with, and I knew I didn't like a certain rule,  then the answer is don't join the club.  I go and find a club whose rules I agree with.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I think I have to disagree regarding Christianity. Gays are born and baptised into the body of Christ, and are part of the Christian family.  As a part of that family we can ask the body to share the burden of our outcastedness.  I do ask that the rules change. I have given up on reason as a first line of defense though.  I have found that being open and visible, and serving and participating in fellowship changes things.  People become comfortable enough to ask questions, and then sometimes a conversation and reasoning can happen.  This is my experience in a moderately conservative congregation.  I readily admit there are places I wouldn't attempt being open.

Thanks, Shrinebuilder
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 30, 2007 - 11:28AM #44
Do_unto_others
"Being Gay does not give me any rights to demand someone should change their beliefs"

There is an inherent fallacy in this. Gay people aren't asking that others necessarily change their beliefs, only that gay people's beliefs (and rights) should be respected TOO.

I can live with the fact that some faiths think I'm doomed to hell, since i realize that some faiths think that of other faithful Christians merely because of their beliefs. However, I don't see many Catholics trying to deny Jews the right to marry.

They may say being gay is a "sin", but simply ignore the "sins" others commit - even murderers and rapists are still allowed to get married, as are liars and thieves. Why single out this one "sin" to restrict some people's civil rights?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 9:44PM #45
Jpdanna

Thank you for your post two years ago. Is anyone coming back? Anyway, I just want to say to hang in there. Culture isn't perfect and societal change takes time for everything. Gays get caught in the line of fire because sex in general hasn't been truly acknowledged in our western world. Gays have actually come quite a long way in recent decades. I know some will say that there should be NO prejudice NOW. But the world is in its infancy spiritually, interpersonally, economically, environmentally and every other way. We just happened to be born into a world of chaos. Step-by-step patience and a lot of persistence will win the war on exclusion of any race, sexual preference, and all the rest. The turning point will be when people understand the real laws at work behind the streaming scenes of life. We have taken the first baby step at understanding ourselves and how we function as universal beings. Getting into resistance with church groups that believe in a multiplicity of sins will never bring resolution. The resolution is one step beyond the perspective of organized religion and their beliefs, which they identify with so strongly that they've "missed the point" or sinned. To make God in the image of a man and give him all of man's emotions, including hate, anger, jealousy, and every ugly attribute of man...is the real sin of the world. The religions have put themselves in the place of God; the very thing they preach not to do. Just please remember the Golden Rule of Life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook