Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Tennesse Judge Refuses to Grant Straight Couple a Divorce Because … Gay Marriage
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2015 - 4:54AM #11
Dostojevsky

Sep 10, 2015 -- 9:26PM, mountain_man wrote:

Sep 10, 2015 -- 9:08AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

It seems that's where we are as a society. Those whose conscience does not approve of certain behavior are demonised and called extremists.

Then we must be living in different societies. No such thing is done in the society I live in. Why do you approve of such things in your society?

I do not approve of these things. This happened in US and what I read here on these forums is demonising the lady for her being true to her conscience.

Amazing how religion always comes into it when most people are irreligious.

Why are you purposely misunderstanding what I've said? Is it so novel that you just can't comprehend it? Does what I say cause too much cognitive dissonance that it just can't register?

Broad view not directed at anyone person. This as with same sex marriage etc. always seems to bring up/blame religion.

My best friend is Atheist and he with his mates are staunch anti-gay.

So?

So, many people disaprove not only religious.

So, if we are all mdicated to by-pass owr conscience we will all be obdient little children.

Such a thing might be proper in your society, but not in mine. Why do you approve of doing such horrible things to people?

My society is not like that. I do not approve, but if people are to suffer for following their conscience, perhaps governments should medicate everybody so we'd all be programmed to do as told.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2015 - 9:16AM #12
Midutch

Sep 15, 2015 -- 4:54AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

Sep 10, 2015 -- 9:26PM, mountain_man wrote:

Sep 10, 2015 -- 9:08AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

It seems that's where we are as a society. Those whose conscience does not approve of certain behavior are demonised and called extremists.

Then we must be living in different societies. No such thing is done in the society I live in. Why do you approve of such things in your society?

I do not approve of these things. This happened in US and what I read here on these forums is demonising the lady for her being true to her conscience.

False.

She is NOT being demonized for "being true to her conscience". Being true to ones conscience is an admirable thing; equally so for the gays, heterosexual couples, liberals, conservatives, Christians, Jews, agnostics, atheists, etc. who oppose her.

What she is being criticized for is NOT DOING HER JOB. She is being criticized for her HYPOCRISY. She is being criticized for her BIGOTRY AND PREJUDICE.

She can be as "true" as she wants to her "conscience", but not in the SECULAR government job she gets paid $80,000 per year for. If she wants to remain "true to her conscience", then she should resign since her job REQUIRES that she issue marriage licenses to EVERY couple who is legally eligible for one. Indeed, if she would have resigned, she would probably have been PRAISED, even by everyone who oppose her now, for DOING THE RIGHT THING.

"creationism" ... 2000+ years worth of ABYSMAL FAILURE ... and proud of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2015 - 9:56AM #13
Do_unto_others

Um, this isn't ABOUT whetther or not you (or anyone else) "approves". It is a matter of the secular, civil law, despite anyone's approval/disapproval - including the clerk who swore an oath to do her secular, civil job "without partiality".

One can 'disapprove' in one's heart while still doing their job as a civil servant - a representative of the State which, per the 1st Amendment, cannot favor (aka 'establish") the clerk's beliefs into law.

You see, I don't "approve" of her prejudices, but if I were a clerk, I'd still have to issue her a civil marriage license despite her sordid history. MY views would also be moot to the law. And rightly so.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2015 - 1:39PM #14
Do_unto_others

Judge who cited gay marriage ruling grants Signal couple a divorce after all

"The Hamilton County judge who refused to grant a Signal Mountain couple's divorce petition last month because of the U.S. Supreme Court's gay marriage decision changed his mind Friday afternoon, according to a court order.

Chancellor Jeffrey Atherton's order stated "that the parties receive a divorce on the grounds of irreconcilable differences."

And in a handwritten edit on the order, though, Atherton vacated his Aug. 31 ruling that Tennessee courts could not hear contested divorces because the Supreme Court ruling invalidated their jurisdiction — a ruling that has puzzled the legal community in Chattanooga and beyond.

His reasoning, according to the note, was that "said holding [of Aug. 31] may be interpreted as intruding upon the exclusive province of the Tennessee legislature."

Earlier this month, Atherton made headlines when he rejected the divorce petition of Thomas and Pamela Bumgardner, a couple in their 60s who have no children together. Although Atherton listed many reasons, he raised several eyebrows when he said the Supreme Court decision allowing same-sex marriage derailed state courts from handling divorce litigation.

Since that time, Atherton has refused to elaborate on his reasoning, prompting some activists and officials to deride the order as political theater."

Much deserved derision, too. 

www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Sep 29, 2015 - 12:10AM #15
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook