Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Heterosexual Supremacist Says Marriage Is Like Being Sent to the Gas Chambers
2 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2015 - 12:05PM #1
Do_unto_others

"Bryan] Fischer, a Christian talk radio host who also serves as spokesperson for the anti-gay American Family Association, made a vile comparison between same-sex couples heading to the altar and Jews heading to the gas chamber.

He said: “What would be think today of a clerk in her position and this is a clerk that controls entrance in and out of the town of Auschwitz?"

Odd that a (self-described) heterosexual 'thinks' (I jest) that 'marriage = a death sentence'.

So many religious ('christian') asshats, so little sense. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2015 - 8:00AM #2
Dostojevsky

The quote makes sense quoted in its entirety:

Near the end of his radio program yesterday, American Family Radio host Bryan Fischer once again heaped praise upon Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis for preventing her office from issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, in defiance of court orders, calling her a "hero" and likening her to someone who refused to send Jews to Nazi death camps or to return runaway slaves to their owner.

"What would be think today of a clerk in her position and this is a clerk that controls entrance in and out of the town of Auschwitz?," Fischer asked. "There's this box car that pulls up and she knows that there are Jews in the box car that are headed to the gas chambers and yet she has to sign a certificate allowing this train to proceed through Auschwitz to get to the other side of town. Now, the law says you have got to do it ... What would we think of her if she said, 'No, I'm not going to sign that certificate'? I think we would regard her today as a hero for honoring her conscience when it came to an important issue."

- See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org/content/bryan-fis...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2015 - 8:55AM #3
Do_unto_others

Sep 4, 2015 -- 8:00AM, Dostojevsky wrote:

The quote makes sense quoted in its entirety:

Near the end of his radio program yesterday, American Family Radio host Bryan Fischer once again heaped praise upon Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis for preventing her office from issuing marriage licenses to gay couples, in defiance of court orders, calling her a "hero" and likening her to someone who refused to send Jews to Nazi death camps or to return runaway slaves to their owner.

"What would be think today of a clerk in her position and this is a clerk that controls entrance in and out of the town of Auschwitz?," Fischer asked. "There's this box car that pulls up and she knows that there are Jews in the box car that are headed to the gas chambers and yet she has to sign a certificate allowing this train to proceed through Auschwitz to get to the other side of town. Now, the law says you have got to do it ... What would we think of her if she said, 'No, I'm not going to sign that certificate'? I think we would regard her today as a hero for honoring her conscience when it came to an important issue."

- See more at: www.rightwingwatch.org/content/bryan-fis...

Sorry, but marriage is NOT the equivalent of Auschwitz. No one gets exterminated when they get married.

Nor is a couple wanting to get married the equivalent of "runaway slaves".

Mr. Fischer's statement is a bag of hateful, nonsensical rubbish.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2015 - 12:25PM #4
Unworthyone

The false equivalency is that sending Jews to Auschwitz is wrong and allowing gays to marry is wrong, therefore defying an order to do either is right.

Therefore, based on this talk show host's logic, people get to decide on their own which laws and court orders they will follow and which they will not.

If a man 'believes' he should not have to pay child support, what judge has the right to say otherwise?

If someone at the DMV 'believes' that women ought not be allowed to drive, why should they be required to issue licenses to half the people who walk in the door?  Do their religious convictions stand for nothing?

If this woman 'believed' that interracial marriage was wrong, then she should not be compelled to issue those licenses as well?

Either the law applies equally to everyone, or we all get to decide for ourselves which laws we will obey and which we will not.

Which option do you prefer?

“Some men see things as they are and say, why; I dream things that never were and say, why not.” Robert F. Kennedy, 1968
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2015 - 9:37PM #5
mountain_man

I feel sorry for this guy's wife..... or husband.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 04, 2015 - 11:26PM #6
Shusha

Sep 4, 2015 -- 8:55AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Sorry, but marriage is NOT the equivalent of Auschwitz. No one gets exterminated when they get married.

But from his perspective, they do get exterminated.  That's the problem. Those who are not Christians get exterminated because they have broken the LAWTM.  They are under the law and if they break it they get the equivalent of a gas chamber.  (If they are Christian they get the magic wand waved and sin isn't a problem.) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2015 - 10:32AM #7
Do_unto_others

Sep 4, 2015 -- 11:26PM, Shusha wrote:

Sep 4, 2015 -- 8:55AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

But from his perspective, they do get exterminated.  That's the problem. Those who are not Christians get exterminated because they have broken the LAWTM.  They are under the law and if they break it they get the equivalent of a gas chamber.  (If they are Christian they get the magic wand waved and sin isn't a problem.) 

I hope there was an implied [/irony] or an [/sarcasm] that didn't get appended to your post.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2015 - 11:13PM #8
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook