Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Hackers Release Ashley Madison Data
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 3:11PM #1
d_p_m
This could get messy. Hackers have released data they claim is from the Ashley Madison web site, a dating sited for married people. It includes, names, addresses, email accounts, personal profiles, etc.

Of course, there is no guarantee it is accurate either.

I forsee a fair bit of turmoil in some quarters. A family member of someone I work with has already split with their spouse over this leak...

-- www.wired.com/2015/08/happened-hackers-p...
"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."
― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
-- Penny Dreadful, season one, episode two
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 3:18PM #2
TemplarS

Ha ha, I can honestly say I have nothing to fear from this one.  For a change.

But, seriously, you would think that by now people would get the message that there is no secrecy out there on the web. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 4:30PM #3
rocketjsquirell

It is times like this which make me question the wisdom of my decision to take no matrimonial cases. :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 4:38PM #4
d_p_m

Aug 19, 2015 -- 3:18PM, TemplarS wrote:

And yet for some people even the compromise of their Beliefnet identity could be life threatening.

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."
-- Albert Einstein

"If one is going to engage with the primordial forces of darkness, one must expect a bit of social awkwardness."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 5:01PM #5
Aka_me

Aug 19, 2015 -- 4:38PM, d_p_m wrote:

And yet for some people even the compromise of their Beliefnet identity could be life threatening.

I'm not seeing how that's possible?

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 5:27PM #6
d_p_m

Aug 19, 2015 -- 5:01PM, Aka_me wrote:

There are countries where they kill gays.

There are countries where they kill witches.

There are countries where they kill women who have sex with anyone other than their husband.

There are countries where they kill anyone who criticizes the ruling faction.

There are countries where they kill anyone who criticizes Islam, the Prophet, or the Koran.

Take a look at the list of forums...

― Niels Bohr

-- Albert Einstein

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 6:16PM #7
rocketjsquirell

Aug 19, 2015 -- 5:27PM, d_p_m wrote:

There are countries where they kill women who have sex with anyone other than their husband.

There are countries where they kill anyone who criticizes Islam, the Prophet, or the Koran.

Sadly, all that is true.  

Thank goodness most of us on B'net live in countries where we can freely express our views and we have the right to be right, to be wrong, to be wise, to be foolish, to be reverant, to be silly, etc...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 6:19PM #8
Aka_me

I'm well aware of this... and am Baha'i who tells my fellow believers to pack up and move out of iran rather than continuous complaining.

people in such countries should not visit ANY questionable sites because there is so much power to track people on the internet.

I dream in my lifetime uhmericans will come to realize hezbollah, hamas, and isis gain followers by helping society AND the only way to defeat them is to perform greater good.

the average person is 8 times more likely to be murdered by a cop than a radical terrorist
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 8:22PM #9
in_my_opinion

+1

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2015 - 8:34PM #10
in_my_opinion

Aug 19, 2015 -- 6:19PM, Aka_me wrote:

I'm well aware of this... and am Baha'i who tells my fellow believers to pack up and move out of iran rather than continuous complaining.

As a Baha'i you should also know that what you call "... continuous complaining." is one of our laws that says you should appeal to your government against injustice, instead of taking up a Jihad which was carried out during the Babi Dispensation, and which we are specifically forbidden.

There is also another of our laws which says to obey the Head of our Faith, the Universal House of Justice, which doesn't want Baha'is to leave Iran.

people in such countries should not visit ANY questionable sites because there is so much power to track people on the internet.

That is good advice. Sadly, studies in sociology and psychology have shown that people will ignore being watched by store cameras and other monitoting devices after a short while, even when there is direct feedback like live screeens showing them being recorded!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook