Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Judge Orders Man to Marry his Girlfriend and Write Down Bible Verses or Go to Jail
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2015 - 8:30PM #1
TPaine

Judge Orders Man To Marry His Girlfriend And Write Down Bible Verses Or Go To Jail

A man was forced to marry his 19-year-old girlfriend and write down Bible verses by an East Texas judge as punishment for punching another man in the jaw.

Last month, Josten Bundy was taken to court for fighting Jaynes’ former partner, who did not need medical assistance but pressed assault charges after the altercation. Court transcripts show that Judge Randall Rogers asked Bundy if Jaynes was worth fighting for.

Rogers then told Bundy he would have to marry his girlfriend within 30 days as a condition of his probation. According to the defendant, Rogers gave him the option to sit behind bars for 15 days. Bundy asked if he could call his employer and let them know he was going to jail, but the judge refused. Bundy and girlfriend Elizabeth Jaynes were then forced to marry or risk Bundy losing his job. They applied for their marriage license and scheduled a date with the justice of the peace.

“It just felt like we weren’t going to be able to have the wedding we wanted,” Jaynes said in an interview with KLTV. “It was just going to be kind of pieced together, I didn’t even have a white dress.”

“We were strung over each other and really were in love,” Bundy said. “[At our wedding] I would have worn a black tux with some yellow under it because I’m a Steelers fan.”

Attorney Blake Bailey later confirmed that forcing a couple to marry is illegal. “To say you’re not going to be criminally punished if you get married is way out of left field,” he told KLTV. “It sounds like the old days of shotgun weddings, but not even the judge is capable of enforcing, what he thinks is best for some people in his court.”

A similar abuse of power happened in June, when Michigan Judge Lisa Gorcyca tried to sentence three kids to a juvenile detention center — for years — because they refused to eat lunch with their father. Link

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2015 - 10:45PM #2
mountain_man

The judge needs to go to jail.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 2:15AM #3
in_my_opinion

So many people's solutions are to toss folks in jail or prison.

This was probably worse. But he had a choice of spending two weeks in jail, and getting another job or marrying the reason that he got in that fix.

Also, there's no reason they can't have a formal wedding later.

Hope that it lasts.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 3:16AM #4
shmuelgoldstein

Aug 9, 2015 -- 8:30PM, TPaine wrote:

A man was forced to marry his 19-year-old girlfriend and write down Bible verses by an East Texas judge as punishment for punching another man {his girlfriend's ex} in the jaw.

It may not be legal, but there is something in this that makes a lot of sense. 

If she's worth fighting for, then marry her, sheesh.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 10:05AM #5
mountain_man

Aug 10, 2015 -- 3:16AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

There was nothing moral, or reasonable, about anything that judge said or did.

They were planning on getting married. The judge had no right, no reason, no legal background, no moral basis, for anything he said or did.

In some less advanced countries, and not so moral beliefs, it may be fine to have the government force two people to get married, it may be fine to have the government impose outdated religious beliefs, but neither of those is legal in the USA.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 10:50AM #6
TPaine

Aug 10, 2015 -- 10:05AM, mountain_man wrote:

Aug 10, 2015 -- 3:16AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

There was nothing moral, or reasonable, about anything that judge said or did.

They were planning on getting married. The judge had no right, no reason, no legal background, no moral basis, for anything he said or did.

In some less advanced countries, and not so moral beliefs, it may be fine to have the government force two people to get married, it may be fine to have the government impose outdated religious beliefs, but neither of those is legal in the USA.

+1

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 2:55PM #7
BDboy

Aug 9, 2015 -- 8:30PM, TPaine wrote:

Judge Orders Man To Marry His Girlfriend And Write Down Bible Verses Or Go To Jail

A man was forced to marry his 19-year-old girlfriend and write down Bible verses by an East Texas judge as punishment for punching another man in the jaw.

Last month, Josten Bundy was taken to court for fighting Jaynes’ former partner, who did not need medical assistance but pressed assault charges after the altercation. Court transcripts show that Judge Randall Rogers asked Bundy if Jaynes was worth fighting for.

Rogers then told Bundy he would have to marry his girlfriend within 30 days as a condition of his probation. According to the defendant, Rogers gave him the option to sit behind bars for 15 days. Bundy asked if he could call his employer and let them know he was going to jail, but the judge refused. Bundy and girlfriend Elizabeth Jaynes were then forced to marry or risk Bundy losing his job. They applied for their marriage license and scheduled a date with the justice of the peace.

“It just felt like we weren’t going to be able to have the wedding we wanted,” Jaynes said in an interview with KLTV. “It was just going to be kind of pieced together, I didn’t even have a white dress.”

“We were strung over each other and really were in love,” Bundy said. “[At our wedding] I would have worn a black tux with some yellow under it because I’m a Steelers fan.”

Attorney Blake Bailey later confirmed that forcing a couple to marry is illegal. “To say you’re not going to be criminally punished if you get married is way out of left field,” he told KLTV. “It sounds like the old days of shotgun weddings, but not even the judge is capable of enforcing, what he thinks is best for some people in his court.”

A similar abuse of power happened in June, when Michigan Judge Lisa Gorcyca tried to sentence three kids to a juvenile detention center — for years — because they refused to eat lunch with their father. Link

>>>>>>>> Looks like this judge voted for Bush Jr twice. lol

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 3:28PM #8
in_my_opinion

It was a wise decision. This way, the guy has to put his life where his mouth is. Too many men find that stringing along some girl with whatever tactic short of actual marriage is cheaper than paying a prostitute or keeping a concubine!

One guy kept a girl waiting 20 years and then married a girl who was born the year he started the first relationship.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 3:48PM #9
mountain_man

Aug 10, 2015 -- 3:28PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

It was a wise decision.....

It was an immoral and illegal decision. The judge has no right to force anyone to marry and absolutely no right what so ever to bring religion into the matter. That anyone believe that immoral decision to be "wise" in any way doesn't understand our laws or Constitution.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2015 - 4:24PM #10
Shusha

Aug 10, 2015 -- 3:48PM, mountain_man wrote:

Aug 10, 2015 -- 3:28PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

It was a wise decision.....

It was an immoral and illegal decision. The judge has no right to force anyone to marry and absolutely no right what so ever to bring religion into the matter. That anyone believe that immoral decision to be "wise" in any way doesn't understand our laws or Constitution.

+1

And lets not forget that the forced marriage involved an innocent third party -- the wife -- who's rights and agency were violated as well. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook