Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Judge Orders Man to Marry his Girlfriend and Write Down Bible Verses or Go to Jail
2 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2015 - 10:56PM #21
mountain_man

Aug 12, 2015 -- 9:42PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Sure, happens all the time, with all sorts of choices.

No, it doesn't. A judge, a representative of the government, does not have to right, morally or legally, to force religion, or marriage, on anyone. Period. End of discussion.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2015 - 8:11AM #22
in_my_opinion

Aug 12, 2015 -- 10:56PM, mountain_man wrote:

Aug 12, 2015 -- 9:42PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

Sure, happens all the time, with all sorts of choices.

No, it doesn't. A judge, a representative of the government, does not have to right, morally or legally, to force religion, or marriage, on anyone. Period. End of discussion.

What you don't get is that it was a deal. A deal can be refused.

Discussions don't just end because someone is uncomfortable with other's choices to accept (what is in their eyes) a lesser consequence.

An agreement that isn't acceptable to all parties, no matter how unpallatable, is not a deal.

What may seem a negative big deal to one, may be a great compromise to others.

It is quite likely that all of the principals in the arrangement would be upset if anyone tried to rescind it externally, and wouldn't even want to risk a renegotiation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2015 - 9:38PM #23
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook