Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Photo of Marine Praying With Bride-to-be Goes Viral
2 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2015 - 1:25PM #31
in_my_opinion

Jun 2, 2015 -- 11:20AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Jun 1, 2015 -- 5:25AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

Sweet pic to be sure, but I wonder why it's sooooo popular? 

Because it shows white, heterosexual Christians getting married. 

DUH!

Only the heartless do not care, or could carelesssly care less.

Lovers gonna love; haters gonna hate. The side of the debate doesn't matter.

The race, and gender, and tongue, and faith, and land, and ideas, and species, and place, and dress, are all irrelevant.

Prayer and Wedding

Their fingers bare,

but touching.

Both heads bowed in

God's lovingly bestowed bond

He, hat in hand;

she, hand to mouth.

He goes to put his breast before their land's.

She holds her peace for parting with less pain.

Pray and strive for a warless world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2015 - 4:39PM #32
Svetlana

Jun 2, 2015 -- 1:25PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

DUH!

The race, and gender, and tongue, and faith, and land, and ideas, and species, and place, and dress, are all irrelevant.

Prayer and Wedding

Their fingers bare,

but touching.

Both heads bowed in

He, hat in hand;

she, hand to mouth.

Goodness!  You certainly read a lot into that photo, don't you?  There's nothing wrong with that at all, by the way, it's just so very much from so very little.

What strikes me about the photo is that it is so very ordinary, so I have no idea why it's goijng viral.  It is a relatively ordinary Christian couple praying, as is so very ordinary for Christians to do, and both of them are crying.  That's not quite so ordinary, but the tears are never mentioned.  I really don't know why it's so popular.  The bit about being white and Christian and hetero is true, but that is so common in America that it doesn't explain the popularity either.

People are weird.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2015 - 11:04PM #33
rideronthastorm

I think its fine for them to put that picture up on facebook. I dont have an issue with its sweet.

However my only issue is this, weird to say, but to me they just dont look like theyre praying. Shes got her hand over her mouth crying and hes crying. They look to be having a personal private moment before the wedding thats it, but I dont see them praying in it no.

Well sense according to another section in Beliefnet ,Christianity has just died and Atheism has taken over the world, i wouldnt worry about it going viral anyways .SO what ATheists are running the world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2015 - 11:10PM #34
in_my_opinion

Jun 3, 2015 -- 4:39PM, Svetlana wrote:

Jun 2, 2015 -- 1:25PM, in_my_opinion wrote:

DUH!

Prayer and Wedding

Their fingers bare,

but touching.

Both heads bowed in

He, hat in hand;

she, hand to mouth.

Goodness!  You certainly read a lot into that photo, don't you?

Poems are meant to be dense with meaning. For instance your sentence just above could be meant that have inferred much from that photo (if it is pronounced reed, in present tense) or it could be meant that have expressed or interpreted more from it than was there (if it is pronounced red, in past tense) although the next phrase gives it away by showing it is in the present tense. Had you left that last phrase off, both senses could live in a verse of a poem.

There's nothing wrong with that at all, by the way, it's just so very much from so very little.

Is it really "... so very little."?

What strikes me about the photo is that it is so very ordinary, so I have no idea why it's goijng viral.

It is a relatively ordinary Christian couple praying, as is so very ordinary for Christians to do, and both of them are crying.  That's not quite so ordinary, but the tears are never mentioned.  I really don't know why it's so popular.

The very ordinariness is what makes it universal. Have we all not felt love? feared loss? admired honor and courage? been dressed up in our best? cooed at cuteness? felt respect for commitment?

The bit about being white and Christian and hetero is true, but that is so common in America that it doesn't explain the popularity either.

Ask yourself why crossover, "appeals to mass taste" are so successful. Ask yourself why sharp well educated politicians deliberately mispronounce common terms. The first gains sales of albums and the second appears downhome and familiar to a huge spectrum section of voters.

People are weird.

Yes, (from dictionary. com) humans are Weird:

1. involving or suggesting the supernatural; unearthly or uncanny:

2. fantastic; bizarre:

3. concerned with or controlling fate or destiny.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2015 - 8:15AM #35
Girlchristian

Jun 2, 2015 -- 9:51AM, Druac wrote:

I see the emotions in the photo...before I see the praying.

Who cares if they are praying? It is THEIR wedding.

I think other people are making something out of it that wasn't even the goal of the photo in the first place, on both sides of the ideological divide...in my honest opinion.

Nice photo, something I am sure they will hold dear for a long time to come, particularly their family. I know I would if I were one of their family members and loved them...regardless of their personal beliefs.

+1

It's a sweet photo that captured what is an emotional moment for many. 

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2015 - 11:12PM #36
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook