Switch to Forum Live View What Do You Think About Polygamous Marriages?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 10:40AM #1
JanaDale

What do you think of a marriage where there is one husband and multiple wives? Meet Joe Darger, his three wives, and their 24 children. Check out a video that takes a deeper look into daily life for one polygamous family.

features.beliefnet.com/discoveriesofawan...

Share your thoughts on polygamous marriages and relationships!

Check out the Beliefnet interview with Joe Darger and his wives here:

www.beliefnet.com/Love-Family/Relationsh...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2011 - 6:47PM #2
REteach

Not for me, but that doesn't mean others might not like it. I'm inclined to think, though, that a polygamous marriage should require ALL members to be married to each other. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2011 - 12:03PM #3
mikeyg

I'm sorry but you have got to be kidding me.  I am a 40-year-old man in Florida who cannot get someone to agree to a date and this guy is "married" to three women?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2011 - 12:52PM #4
REteach

Judging by the house and number of kids, I'm guessing he has money.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2011 - 7:23PM #5
SatanicStalker

I think as long as all members are consenting adults and all on the same page, there's nothing wrong with it. This goes for a husband with multiple wives, a wife with multiple husbands, or a group of people all married to each other. It sounds awefully complicated to me, I would not choose it for myself, but if it's what they all want, all the more power to them. 

I wonder how the legal side works for this family. For instance, does each wife have parental rights over just the children she gave birth to, or do all four of them share parenting rights for all 24 children? If one of the wives became hospitalized, would the other two wives be able to visit and be given information by the hospital, or only the husband? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 3:52AM #6
arylos

If all the women want to marry the one man, then that is up to them. If they want to share that is also up to them. If all persons are adult and agreeable to share everything then it is up to them. The Government is too much into the private lives of consenting adults.

I wish i had even ONE woman who was interested in me, much less three.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 10:20AM #7
jmccoy_74

I think that in this day and age when young men are having 5-6 babies with all different women in different households & not taking care of one of them; who are we to say that any man (or woman) can not take care of mutliple households and families. They ARE instilling better values than most kids are getting now-a-days and if they are no burden on the welfare system- who are we to tell them that their beliefs are wrong.

Give me your tired, your poor,  Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;  

- unless of course you are doing something we dont believe in.... then we will persecute you....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 10:38AM #8
jmccoy_74

Sep 30, 2011 -- 10:20AM, jmccoy_74 wrote:

I think that in this day and age when young men are having 5-6 babies with all different women in different households & not taking care of one of them; who are we to say that any man (or woman) can not take care of mutliple households and families. They ARE instilling better values than most kids are getting now-a-days and if they are no burden on the welfare system- who are we to tell them that their beliefs are wrong.

Give me your tired, your poor,  Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free;  

- unless of course you are doing something we dont believe in.... then we will persecute you....

By the way, I was not grown up in or around this lifestyle (nor am I religious) and I would happily adopt this lifesytle. It does take a village to raise a family. I think that is where     America has lost some of it's MOST valuable beliefs, we have no community anymore in our neighborhoods or lifes in general. These women get more from their friendships with each   other that most of us get in our daily lives. *stepping down from my soap box*

Power to the Polys!! ;o)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 2:01PM #9
nillawafer

will polyandry be acceptable and legal too?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 4:40PM #10
astral_tourist

As long as the family is self-supporting, I have no problems with it. The only objection I have is if the family becomes dependent upon government support. If a man is foolish enough to think that MORE wives is a good thing...well then he gets what's coming to him! One wife is all I will ever need!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook