Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Can we get married in faith? No Marriage License!!
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 10:46AM #11
voice-crying

Sep 11, 2011 -- 1:05AM, Angelofthestars wrote:

Now my lawyers are telling me that if we get legally married then it could disquallify my disabillity case. Because it was filed as a childs case ("disabled before the age of 22" and I became disabled at 18.) getting married would void that out somehow.

I hope that you are better real soon.

(Your lawyer should be able to give you a firm answer...will it disqualify you or won't it; that is the question!)

Of course you don't want your application for medical benefits to be rejected.

In some states if you are living together as man and wife then you are married.  So, if you live in one of those states and you have a ceremony (even without a marriage license involved) you can be determined to be a married woman.  You are in a catch 22 situation.

It's been three years waiting on my disability to go through so I don't want to risk it, but at the same time my fiance and I REALLY want to get married. I've even made a lot of the stuff for our wedding myself (bride maid's dresses, flower girl dresses, bouquets, boutonniers, my reception dress, oh... and we're making the cake)!! I have put so much effort in this.

You sound like most young women who want the traditional wedding where you are presented to your groom in front of all your friends and loved ones. 

That's why I was wanting to know if it would be best to wait or to go ahead and have our ceremony.

You should wait.  Do what is right under the law.  You have a child to think about and your health. 

If we go ahead and have it we can have our ceremony and be married in our faith in the eyes of God, to our family, and to our friends.

The Bible teaches us to obey the laws of the land. 

But not to the government for now that will just try to jerk me around some more. We can always go back to the courthouse later.

What do you all think? I would really like some advice on this. Thanks!

The government has nothing to do with your dilemma.  The government is there to help those who can't help themselves. 

I think that you really don't need advise from anyone. 

Let your conscience be your guide.

I hope things work out for you. 

"Death and life [are] in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."Proverbs 18:21
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 12:47PM #12
Hatman

The Bible teaches us to obey the laws of the land.

Not according to Peter in Acts, where he says "We must obey God rather than man."

Not according to the hundreds of thousands of martyrs slain by the Roman Emperors for various things like refusing to worship Caesar, refusing to serve in any of his armies, refusing to obey the emperor's unjust laws, refusing to wear the charagma, etc.

Not according to the F&F of America, who definitely refused to obey the unjust laws of King George, thus preparing the way for what remains of the liberty they bled and gave their treasure for so you could live today.

The examples are legion; should i continue?

i know many people like to cite "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's," but few have a proper understanding of this passage, or how it came to pass.

Someone asked Christ, trying to trap Him in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation, "Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not?"  His first words after that question?  "Show Me a denarius."  Someone did.  Christ asked "Whose likeness and inscription are on this coin?"  They answered, "Caesars."  THEN, and ONLY then, He replied "THEREFORE"(referring to Caesar's likenesses and inscriptions) "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God what is God's," to me clearly meaning that what IS INDEED Caesar's are his likenesses and inscriptions, but everything else belongs to God Our Father, for He created it...all of it.

Far too many seem far too eager to render far too much unto Caesar, and far to little unto God.  Why is that, do you think?  Is it "safer" to do so?

A similar situation exists today in America; the People falsely think that because Congress has voted on it and the President has approved it, that "it's the law," and they must obey...but SCOTUS and many other courts have repeatedly ruled that ANY and ALL Unconstitutional "laws" are not laws at all, and needn't be heeded to the slightest degree.  Yet who dares to stand up and say "Kelo v. City of New London is an unconstitutional arrogation of powers not delegated, so we're going to disobey", for example?

As it relates to THIS thread, can anyone show me where any Constitution of either the United States OR any of the Several States delegates to power to command the People to obtain licenses to marry?

Washington didn't get one; neither did Jefferson or Paine or Lincoln or anyone ELSE in America until 1920 or so; what changed, and when?  And perhaps most importantly, why?

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 9:24AM #13
MarleneEmmett5

If you choose to do this then what you're doing is having a "common law marriage"
You're not really married,you're just living together.
For a couple to be married there must be a marriage liscese issued by the state
and a marriage  liscense from your Chruch or Synagogue.

Your girlfriend/wife can choose not to take your name or she may decide she wants to.
When I got married I took my husbands last name.
I'm old fashioned,so I did what my mom did.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 18, 2011 - 12:58PM #14
Hatman

Sep 18, 2011 -- 9:24AM, MarleneEmmett5 wrote:

If you choose to do this then what you're doing is having a "common law marriage"
You're not really married,you're just living together.
For a couple to be married there must be a marriage liscese issued by the state
and a marriage  liscense from your Chruch or Synagogue.

Your girlfriend/wife can choose not to take your name or she may decide she wants to.
When I got married I took my husbands last name.
I'm old fashioned,so I did what my mom did.

Marlene-

Who has the right and power to lawfully marry?

God, or the State? 

You seem to think it's the State; why did they NOT have this power prior to 1920, if what you say is true?

Besides, what founded this country and helped make it great is the common law; statutory law has helped ruin it.  i would suggest that learning what the differences between these two are would be a great complement to your education.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 1:35AM #15
jesusfreakgal

I agree with what someone else said, but can't remember how they put it. I think it would be a good idea to ask your lawyer why you would be disqualified from receiving disability (or whatever the case exactly is) if you actually get married to your fiance. It could be simply that they expect you would go on his medical plan, or that maybe because you are married, you now have someone who has money to pay for medical expences (which is not always true). But there could be some other reason you may not be aware of. It would be good to know. I am not sure of I am right, but the person who said about obeying the laws of the land, he/ she could be refering to the verse where people questioned Jesus about paying taxes to Ceasar, and Jesus ended up saying something 'give unto ceasar that which is ceasars, and give to God that which is God's' (Matthew 22:20-22). If that is true, there would be some problems that come up (and that could and probably would, in the end, contradict the bible and Christianity).

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2011 - 12:49PM #16
lapatosu

Can you get married in religious ceremony, without a state license?  Depends on the religious faith and its beliefs, as well as your own and those of your partner, friends and family.  I have lots of same sex couples, who have been doing it for years.

However, without the license, the faith may recognize the marriage, as well as your family and friends. The state won't.  This doesn't have to be an issue for you, it just means in regards to state things, like income tax, divorce settlements (if that should ever become and issue), health insurance, wills, social security benefits, pension benefits, ect., you have no legal standing.

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 11:50AM #17
Mewxacata

Sep 11, 2011 -- 12:14PM, Angelofthestars wrote:

Thank you for your reply. No, money is not the issue. The issue is that my lawyer has advised me to not get legally married, but he doesn't think I would qualify for adult disability becasue I did not work very long (on paper) before I messed up my back at 18.

So since this is an "adult child's" case, getting married at this point would disqualify me. However, I do not know if there is any way to change it from "adult child" to "adult" after I start recieving benefits. And if not, does that mean that my fiance and I can never get married, unless I go ahead and have the surgery which could also potentially make me worse? If they could find another way to fix my back so I could go back to work then it wouldn't be a problem at all. But most of the people I have talked to have recommended surgery.

I just don't know what to do at this point and the would-be wedding date is less than 3 weeks away!!

Don't worry.  My wife and I are in the same boat.  We were married in 1984 at the age of three.  I know, I know -- it's not allowed for toddlers.  But please bear with me.

Mew Xacata

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2011 - 12:17AM #18
Hatman

Oct 9, 2011 -- 12:49PM, lapatosu wrote:

Can you get married in religious ceremony, without a state license?  Depends on the religious faith and its beliefs, as well as your own and those of your partner, friends and family.  I have lots of same sex couples, who have been doing it for years.

However, without the license, the faith may recognize the marriage, as well as your family and friends. The state won't.  This doesn't have to be an issue for you, it just means in regards to state things, like income tax, divorce settlements (if that should ever become and issue), health insurance, wills, social security benefits, pension benefits, ect., you have no legal standing.

...hence the need to NOTIFY your state's SERVANTS and EMPLOYEES that whether they like it or not, they are to do their freakin' jobs and file the established FACT that your marriage HAS taken place, and that NO LAW MAY REQUIRE that people be "licensed" by the State to do so first.

With goodwill to all the People-

Hatman

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2011 - 10:21PM #19
Roodog

If you want your spouse to inherit your estate when you die, they will have to prove that they were married to you. In this society, it means paperwork!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2011 - 3:08PM #20
Do_unto_others

Sep 11, 2011 -- 12:14PM, Angelofthestars wrote:

No, money is not the issue. The issue is that my lawyer has advised me to not get legally married, but he doesn't think I would qualify for adult disability becasue I did not work very long (on paper) before I messed up my back at 18.

So since this is an "adult child's" case, getting married at this point would disqualify me.

"we can have our ceremony and be married in our faith in the eyes of God, to our family, and to our friends. But not to the government for now that will just try to jerk me around some more"

I think it is you that is being disingenuous here. Clearly it IS 'about the money'. You don't want to lose a disability status claim. That comes with monetary benefits (" However, I do not know if there is any way to change it from "adult child" to "adult" after I start recieving benefits.").

It is YOU that is doing the "jerking around", not the government since you do not wish to get legally married. You can do whatever you want in your church, but you will not be legally married. So you shouldn't get the "effects that flow from marriage".

Sorry, but all the deceiving, manipulating and outright LYING about this loses any/all sympathy from me.

After reading this, I'd love to find out how you feel about same-gender marriage. Gay couples are being denied benefits and "the effects that flow from marriage" - even those who are perfectly legally married.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook