Switch to Forum Live View Moral Outrage du jour: blogger vs. card game player
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 6:11PM #1
Ironhold
This has apparently gotten a lot of hype lately, and I'm wondering what everyone here thinks.

Some time back, Gizmodo.com blogger Alyssa Bereznak set up a profile on OK Cupid and eventually found a "seemingly normal" guy to go out with.

Said guy turned out to be Jon Finkel. Finkel is a hedge fund partner and professional blackjack player, but his real claim to fame is the fact that he's the world champion of the Magic: The Gathering trading card game.

Thing is, to Bereznak, Finkel not listing his status as a champion Magic player in his online profile was akin to someone cheating on their spouse. That's right: she actually wrote an article expressing her outrage over being "preyed upon" by a nerd... specifically, a nerd who ended up dating two of her co-workers who also had OK Cupid profiles.

A blogger at Forbes.com is thinking that Bereznak may have deliberately orchestrated the whole thing to generate a scandal and get blog hits. But even if she wasn't thinking that far ahead, the fact remains that she dumped an otherwise ideal guy simply for having a geeky hobby.

To me, she's nothing more than a total jerkwad. If she orchestrated the whole thing for the sake of scandal, she's a massive fraud who needs to go down. If she didn't but is actually that arrogant, she needs to explain why she's with a tech blog in the first place as a lot of your tech blog readers are - gasp - nerds.

Thoughts?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 6:24PM #2
Ebon

My first thought is "massive over-reaction". You're pretty much on the money here. A tech blog is going to be primarily read by geeks and geeks (shock, horror) have geeky hobbies. I don't play M:tG myself but I play Vs, Munchkin and Warhammer.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 6:40PM #3
DotNotInOz
Geez, she's nuts!

I'd think it was cool as HELL that I happened onto a geek-celeb via a dating site.

But then, my hubby was a rabid D&D player for years and had a wee problem with hacking into some major computer systems as a teenager.

Sounds like sour grapes because they simply didn't hit it off that well. Or maybe he liked her coworker or other acquaintance better...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 6:42PM #4
Girlchristian

Aug 30, 2011 -- 6:40PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Geez, she's nuts! I'd think it was cool as HELL that I happened onto a geek-celeb via a dating site. But then, my hubby was a rabid D&D player for years and had a wee problem with hacking into some major computer systems as a teenager. Sounds like sour grapes because they simply didn't hit it off that well. Or maybe he liked her coworker or other acquaintance better...

+1

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 6:54PM #5
TemplarS

I've never heard of Gizmodo, and I've never heard of Ms. Bereznak.

Why would I give a flying f__k what she thinks about anything at all, and in particular why would I give a flying f__k about her sex life? 

For that matter, why would anybody else?

These people should get a life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 7:28PM #6
jane2

Aug 30, 2011 -- 6:54PM, TemplarS wrote:

I've never heard of Gizmodo, and I've never heard of Ms. Bereznak.

Why would I give a flying f__k what she thinks about anything at all, and in particular why would I give a flying f__k about her sex life? 

For that matter, why would anybody else?

These people should get a life.

I can go with this, T.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2011 - 5:43PM #7
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest