3 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2010 - 2:08PM #1
ArnieBeeGut

Link to article.

The Divorce rate for second marriages is even higher than first marriages. Does that make you think twice about tyng the knot for the second time?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2010 - 10:47AM #2
Gemanjela

My goodness this is all so depressing.  I was okay with trying it again until I heard that.  To be fair I would need a survey of why did these people get divorced a 2nd time.  Also if the 1st divorce had any bearings on the 2nd divorce.  I do believe there are times when people do not give themselves enough time to heal, before they go back in the ring so to speak.  This could lead to again misconceptions of what is a marriage and the excess baggage that most people dont take the time to unpack, and then dump it. Anyway that's just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2010 - 1:19PM #3
ArnieBeeGut

The statistics are discouraging - and they are just statistics after all. I think there are a number of reasons.

Many people remarry the “same” person in a different body, thus guaranteeing that the same issues will arise in the second marriage as the first.

Many remarry while there are still significant emotional ties to the ex. A strong negative response to one’s ex is indication of a strong bond. This emotional bond to another person (even if strongly negative) can wreak havoc on any relationship. It is rarely only one person’s responsibility for the demise of a marriage; the “psycho ex” is rarely the whole truth of the matter.

Many remarry before processing the “lessons” of the first marriage and working on their own responsibilities in what happened. That is, there is insufficient personal growth.

It is definitely possible to find happiness in second marriages, and I hope that the statistics don’t stop anyone from trying.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook