Page 4 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pastor orders church leaders to give up Facebook or resign
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 6:24PM #31
jane2

Nov 18, 2010 -- 4:47PM, TemplarS wrote:

After reading all of this-

I conclude that I don't care one bit about what this pastor and his Church do.  I don't know the guy and I don't belong to his Church.  It's not like he's legislating to outlaw Facebook on religious grounds. 

Not sure why anybody else who's not a member would get worked up over it either...

I'm on your page..............................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 8:17PM #32
Pam34

The biggest argument we have about FB is that my husband wants me to join his Mafia and I'm not interested.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:06PM #33
Iwantamotto

Girlchristian:  Sometimes when one is tempted, the best thing to do is to walk away from the temptation so that you can get your head on straight and deal with the issues.

It's called the Blocking feature.  I've recently come across members of the family I haven't spoken to in two decades or so.  The moment my cynicism turns into outright irritation, I'll just delete them from my friends list.  It's not like I'm forced to live under their roof or anything.

If the wives of these men are so suspicious, the solution is to pose as the other woman and see what happens.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:11PM #34
Sacrificialgoddess

Nov 18, 2010 -- 4:01PM, TPaine wrote:

My first question would be how is Rev. Miller going to ascertain whether the 50 church leaders actually obey his orders? What will be next? Will he order his church leaders not to watch TV shows like Desperate Housewives, Criminal Minds, or Family Guy because they could lead to bad behavior? Will he create his own version of the now abolished RCC Index Librorum Prohibitorum? A pastor should be an advisor, not a dictator.

He'd have to have a facebook account to be sure, wouldn't he?   Wink

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 11:57PM #35
Stardove

Yes, the pastor would have to have a Facebook account to check on his church members.  Hope the pastor isn't tempted by an old flame.  Tongue out

Hank and I both have FB accounts.  It is a good way to keep up with family and friends in real life.

Either people are faithful to their partners, or they are cheaters.  No social site will cause a person to be a cheater.  IMO.  We could say Beliefnet might cause two married people to connect.  Will this pastor order members not to go to Beliefnet next or My Space?  I am sure the websites to ban are endless.

My man and me!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 3:53AM #36
CharikIeia

I guess what this indicates is only that said pastor lives in a remote village community where marriages are only stable because of lacking alternatives, not because of anything intrinsic.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 8:15AM #37
IreneAdler

Interesting that the pastor cites “he has counseled 20 couples in 18 months who are having marital problems because their spouse reconnected with an old flame on the social networking website”. 

But how many couples with marital troubles has he counseled that do not involve Facebook? Article doesn’t say. How many couples attend this church? Article doesn’t say either.

So it is not known if, say, 10% of marital troubles can be traced to Facebook or 75% . Nor is it indicated if the 20 couples represent a majority of the married couples in the congregation or a small minority.  

Looks to me like baby in the bathwater type thinking.

And, no numbers were cited to indicate degree of marriages at risk prior to creation of Facebook.  So one can’t conclude that fidelity was better or worse with the advent of Facebook.  It could be that the 20 couples in counseling indicate an improvement over times past. It’s simply an artifact that Facebook is a commonality for all 20 couples. It’s also a commonality that all 20 attend this particular church- maybe that’s the cause of the infidelity?

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 9:04AM #38
Christianlib

Nov 19, 2010 -- 8:15AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Interesting that the pastor cites “he has counseled 20 couples in 18 months who are having marital problems because their spouse reconnected with an old flame on the social networking website”. 

But how many couples with marital troubles has he counseled that do not involve Facebook? Article doesn’t say. How many couples attend this church? Article doesn’t say either.

So it is not known if, say, 10% of marital troubles can be traced to Facebook or 75% . Nor is it indicated if the 20 couples represent a majority of the married couples in the congregation or a small minority.  

Looks to me like baby in the bathwater type thinking.

And, no numbers were cited to indicate degree of marriages at risk prior to creation of Facebook.  So one can’t conclude that fidelity was better or worse with the advent of Facebook.  It could be that the 20 couples in counseling indicate an improvement over times past. It’s simply an artifact that Facebook is a commonality for all 20 couples. It’s also a commonality that all 20 attend this particular church- maybe that’s the cause of the infidelity?

Irene.

I'm gonna go with YOU on this Irene.  The evidence would clearly indicate that membership in THAT congregation causes infidelity.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 8:03PM #39
whirlgal

A pastor--even a priest-=-only has the amount of power over an individual that the individual cedes to them.

Period.

Unfortunately I am related to someone who has ceded power over their entire life to their pastor.

It's a very sad situation and one that can't be cured until the person realizes what they've allowed the other person to do to them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 19, 2010 - 8:08PM #40
IreneAdler

Nov 19, 2010 -- 8:03PM, whirlgal wrote:

Unfortunealye I am related to someone who has ceded power over their entire life to their pastor.

Wow. Just ...wow.

That has to be hell watching that happen.

Maybe it's how I'm wired, but the very notion of someone else telling me what to do, or having the power to make my decisions, etc., would send me over the edge in no time.  The very thought bothers me deeply.

I"m sorry you have to deal with watching such a thing. Awful.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook