Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pastor orders church leaders to give up Facebook or resign
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 2:17PM #21
loveontheair

Nov 18, 2010 -- 2:10PM, Christianlib wrote:

And, please explain to me how many churches are frightened that their "leaders" are adulterous.

Can't you just feel the love and trust in that congregation?

Hello,

CL...

2 years ago in my town in one of the churches, we had the Worship Leader run off with the Secretary and she stole the till on the way out. Never to be seen from again. Many are adulterous. Many are Jim Bakkers...

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 2:20PM #22
Girlchristian

Nov 18, 2010 -- 2:17PM, loveontheair wrote:

Nov 18, 2010 -- 2:10PM, Christianlib wrote:

And, please explain to me how many churches are frightened that their "leaders" are adulterous.

Can't you just feel the love and trust in that congregation?

Hello,

CL...

2 years ago in my town in one of the churches, we had the Worship Leader run off with the Secretary and she stole the till on the way out. Never to be seen from again. Many are adulterous. Many are Jim Bakkers...

love

While not funny, the visual of them running out and the woman grabbing the till is kind of funny.

Many years ago, before I started attending my church, we had an elder who was having an affair. He was confronted by our pastors and the other elders and refused to acknowledge that what he was doing was wrong. When he also refused to stop the affair, he was removed from his position and then left the church.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 2:21PM #23
Christianlib

love,

Yes, SOME are.  People are human, whether religious or not.  On the other hand, the reason we remember those instances are because they are so rare.

And, I wouldn't compare the Bakers to any local pastors or elders.  They were TV con men, plain and simple.  Religion was just their "game."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 2:33PM #24
loveontheair

Nov 18, 2010 -- 2:21PM, Christianlib wrote:

love,

Yes, SOME are.  People are human, whether religious or not.  On the other hand, the reason we remember those instances are because they are so rare.

And, I wouldn't compare the Bakers to any local pastors or elders.  They were TV con men, plain and simple.  Religion was just their "game."

Hello,

CL...

While that is true that most are not like this, there is the one person who will finger point. It's pastors like this that people remember and prevent many coming to church. It leaves a bad taste in many mouths. I have known many pastors who had honesty and integrity--important to my church but also to our community. There are many Charlatans today.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 2:35PM #25
Christianlib

Love,

I don't think we are really arguing here.  Just saying similar things in dis-similar language.

Peace

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 4:00PM #26
Grinandbearit

Isn't a cult where a church leader tries to control the congregants and what they do on their own time?

Earth to Pastor's flock - terminate church affiliation!

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
1Co 1:27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 3:19  For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 4:01PM #27
TPaine

My first question would be how is Rev. Miller going to ascertain whether the 50 church leaders actually obey his orders? What will be next? Will he order his church leaders not to watch TV shows like Desperate Housewives, Criminal Minds, or Family Guy because they could lead to bad behavior? Will he create his own version of the now abolished RCC Index Librorum Prohibitorum? A pastor should be an advisor, not a dictator.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 4:11PM #28
Ebon

Nov 18, 2010 -- 10:57AM, Christianlib wrote:

BTW, Mrs. Lib and I BOTH have FB accounts, and we each can see everything the other says and does.  Honesty in a marriage does not begin or end with a web site.

Same here. Kat and I can see exactly what each other say on FB. To be honest, the idea of restricting one another from seeing posts never occured.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 4:27PM #29
Roodog

Nov 18, 2010 -- 11:20AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Nov 18, 2010 -- 11:13AM, Roodog wrote:

I do not think this pastor is treating his congregants like adults.

Facebook is a social network. I use Facebook and my wife has access to my account.

Yes, but WHY does your wife have access? Is it because of a lack of trust or is it because you want her to feel safe and reaffirm that she can trust you? If the pastor's point wasn't valid, then there would be no need for husbands and wives to give access to each other's accounts as a means of maintaining trust.

Because she opened the account for me. If she doesn't approve of my facebook friends, she'll let me know.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 4:47PM #30
TemplarS

After reading all of this-

I conclude that I don't care one bit about what this pastor and his Church do.  I don't know the guy and I don't belong to his Church.  It's not like he's legislating to outlaw Facebook on religious grounds. 

Not sure why anybody else who's not a member would get worked up over it either...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook