Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pastor orders church leaders to give up Facebook or resign
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:37AM #1
Grinandbearit

Overstepping his authority?

Article

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:41AM #2
Hatman

Nov 18, 2010 -- 10:37AM, Grinandbearit wrote:

Overstepping his authority?

Article

At the Last Supper, Christ specifically forbade His disciples the exercise of either authority OR dominion---so yep, this guy's actively disobedient to Christ.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:44AM #3
Girlchristian

I don't know if he's overstepping his bounds or not. As a Christian, if I were married, I would likely not have a FB account or my spouse would at least have password access to my account (and I his). In my bible study, all the married couples have joint FB accounts to make each other feel safe (many of them, in fact, have joint email accounts).

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:44AM #4
Grinandbearit

If your marriage falls apart due to reconnecting, you've got problems quitting Facebook can't fix!

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:46AM #5
Girlchristian

Nov 18, 2010 -- 10:44AM, Grinandbearit wrote:

If your marriage falls apart due to reconnecting, you've got problems quitting Facebook can't fix!

Maybe, but we're all human and it's easy to be tempted. Having a rough patch with the spouse and then all of a sudden an old flame is showing you attention...it could be easy to start thinking "would my life have been different with X" or end up in an emotional affair if not a physical affair.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 10:57AM #6
Christianlib

Nov 18, 2010 -- 10:46AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Maybe, but we're all human and it's easy to be tempted. Having a rough patch with the spouse and then all of a sudden an old flame is showing you attention...it could be easy to start thinking "would my life have been different with X" or end up in an emotional affair if not a physical affair.

But, as noted, the problem is not Facebook.  The wrongdoing is not an action of the inanimate Facebook.

BTW, Mrs. Lib and I BOTH have FB accounts, and we each can see everything the other says and does.  Honesty in a marriage does not begin or end with a web site.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 11:04AM #7
Girlchristian

Nov 18, 2010 -- 10:57AM, Christianlib wrote:

But, as noted, the problem is not Facebook.  The wrongdoing is not an action of the inanimate Facebook.

BTW, Mrs. Lib and I BOTH have FB accounts, and we each can see everything the other says and does.  Honesty in a marriage does not begin or end with a web site.

No, the problem isn't Facebook, but Facebook is the tool that allows one to connect after so many years. There are many "friends" on Facebook that I wouldn't have ever talked to again if it weren't for them finding me and sending a friend request. I suspect that this Pastor would also have something to say about married people hanging out in bars (without their spouse) or any other tool that would lead to temptation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 11:05AM #8
Cesmom

This guy is way out of bounds, and what he's asking is ridiculous.  Marriages need to have trust, and if having a Facebook account creates a trust issue, there was already a trust issue that needed to be addressed before Facebook ever came into the picture.  If a person can't handle the temptation of being contacted by an old flame on Facebook, they could no more handle it if they happened to bump into that old flame in a coffee shop.  Again, not a Facebook problem...a marriage problem that needs to be dealth with regardless. 

This is like taking cough syrup to treat pneumonia.  No, it requires antibiotics.  Treating the symptom isn't going to make the core problem go away.  It's only going to mask the symptoms and let the problem continue to grow. 

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 11:07AM #9
Christianlib

Nov 18, 2010 -- 11:04AM, Girlchristian wrote:

Nov 18, 2010 -- 10:57AM, Christianlib wrote:

No, the problem isn't Facebook, but Facebook is the tool that allows one to connect after so many years. There are many "friends" on Facebook that I wouldn't have ever talked to again if it weren't for them finding me and sending a friend request. I suspect that this Pastor would also have something to say about married people hanging out in bars (without their spouse) or any other tool that would lead to temptation.

You can't possibly think of all the ways and all the situations that will get dishonest people in trouble.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2010 - 11:07AM #10
Cesmom

Nov 18, 2010 -- 11:04AM, Girlchristian wrote:

I disagree.  Temptation is a symptom of a bigger issue.  Removing the temptation does nothing to resolve the actual issue.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook