Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Anglican same-sex relationship
4 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2010 - 7:26PM #11
REteach

I don't know if you are still around.  What is it you want from marriage anyway?  Just the civil recognition?  A sacrament before God?  Both?

If your main interest is in a sacramental marriage before God, why does it have to be Anglican?  Is not any Christian ceremony a sacramental marriage before God?  God managed marriages for a long time before the Anglican church came into being.   

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2010 - 12:14AM #12
Mostyn32

Hello, Alexander. Why not consider a trip to Canada? Same-sex marriage is legal in all ten provinces and the three territories here, and if you get as far as Winnipeg, I'll preside at your ceremony. I'm a marriage commissioner, and there's no reason why we couldn't use the Anglican wedding  liturgy. The first gay marriage ceremony at which I presided was for an Episcopalian (that's Anglican in the US) couple from Kansas, of all places. They knew that hell will freeze over before same sex marriage is legal in Kansas, but they wanted to commit themselves to one another so they made the trek north. I married them using the Episcopalian liturgy and my own priest allowed me to take reserved sacrament so that the couple could have Communion as part of the wedding ceremony. Their wedding rings had been blessed by their parish priest in Kansas. It wasn't a church wedding (the Anglican Church of Canada is about six years off allowing same sex blessings, and same sex marriage is still not on the cards for some time yet) but it was the next best thing.  

Too bad you live in Sydney. Your Archbishop is a right old Conservative (the man is more into Calvinist doctrine than Anglican doctrine in my view) and even if the Australian government and the rest of the Anglican Church in Australia allowed same sex marriage, you can bet your bottom dollar that Philip Jensen wouldn't allow it!

As for 'sin', it is only a sin if you and/or your partner are promiscious and having sexual relations with people other than just each other. You sound pretty committed to one another, "keeping thee only to one another" as the wedding service puts it. Since the wedding ceremony is the public acknowledgement of an already-existing relationship, I doubt if God is going to judge you and your partner as harshly as you are judged by your fellow human beings!  

God bless you both, and may your love continue to flourish and grow.

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2010 - 11:02AM #13
Do_unto_others

I agree with Mostyn. Come to Canada for a vacation. There are no residency requirements for marriage.

But first, you have to decide what it is you seek - government recognition or Church recognition - or both.

Your particular Church is still in a state of indecision on the issue, both here in Canada and world-wide. Plus, the Australian government still doesn't recognize legal same-gender marriages performed elsewhere (OR those legitimate but not-yet-legal marriages performed in Australia) - in Churches OR in Justice of the Peace/marriage commissioners' offices/courtrooms.

You WILL be legally married if you get married in Canada, but whether your country's government OR your Church will ever recognize that fact is a very different issue. The same is also still true for Americans, sadly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook