Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Monogomy Unnatural?
4 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2010 - 11:29AM #1
ArnieBeeGut

In this article a psychologist claims that monogamy is "unnatural." The high rates of infidelity amongt married couples seems to lend some credence to that hypothesis. Maybe the idea of a long-term, monogamous relationship in marriage is a romantic ideal that has little chance of providing fulfillment.

What are your thoughts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2010 - 5:21PM #2
nillawafer

from what i've read polyamory doesn't have a great success rate either. that genius woman marilyn vos savant said monogamy probably isn't natural "but you guys can try can't you?"

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2011 - 6:24PM #3
Lucky_charmz

Jul 30, 2010 -- 11:29AM, ArnieBeeGut wrote:

In this article a psychologist claims that monogamy is "unnatural." The high rates of infidelity amongt married couples seems to lend some credence to that hypothesis. Maybe the idea of a long-term, monogamous relationship in marriage is a romantic ideal that has little chance of providing fulfillment.

What are your thoughts?

I think that there need to be more studies done on both sides. Otherwise it's just a one-sided hypothesis in my opinion.

There has been documentation that some animals mate for life, and don't seek satisfaction elsewhere.

Whether or not humans are in that monogamous list (in terms of natural inclination), I'm not sure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2011 - 1:41PM #4
nillawafer
there is such a wide variety among the different species of animals i don't even know how helpful it is to compare. there are even sea animals that can change their sex according to population demands. lions keep a harem. wolves mate for life, although their are lone wolves kicked out of the pack who do sneak in to mate with females. this actually is a good thing from a survival standpoint as it keeps the gene pool diverse and prevents too much inbreeding which reinforces health problems as well as benefits.

but we are neither lions nor wolves. we are beings with a body, mind and spirit (or so some believe) and all of these aspects of self matter. if you neglect or offend one of these the whole self suffers. i believe this is true for men as well as women, but some believe men just dwell more in the realm of body and less so spirit, which is kind of ironic considering women have been blamed with being the more sensual of the sexes (remember eve?) and not fit for the dimensions of the mind and spirit, which are mens' domains. and all the while we are called seductresses we are put on pedestals as the tender, weaker sex whom needs protected from the baser instincts of men so as not to offend our delicate natures and we need to stay out of the pulpits because the mind is also the domain of men although if women left the church it would probably cease to exist as most boys would refuse to go if their mothers didn't make them! anyway, the madonna/whore split in our thinking is old news.

bonobo apes, with whom we share more dna than any other creatures don't fight like other chimpanzee type apes, but resolve stress and issues with sex. they sexually stimulate each other all the live long day regardless of relationship. mother/child, sibling/sibling, cousin/cousin, but does that mean we should do so just because we are genetically closest to them? male seahorses grow their babies in their bodies. does that mean we should surgically and medically make it the norm for men to do the same?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 22, 2011 - 10:56PM #5
belleo

Jul 30, 2010 -- 11:29AM, ArnieBeeGut wrote:

What are your thoughts?

Poppy cock and  balderdash  and I doubt if a Christian psychologist would give that credane . I prefer to believe in the normalcy of what the bible teaches . Marriage a man marries one woman .   Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2011 - 7:14PM #6
ArnieBeeGut

Sep 22, 2011 -- 10:56PM, belleo wrote:

I prefer to believe in the normalcy of what the bible teaches . Marriage a man marries one woman .

You mean like King David or King Soloman?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2011 - 8:18PM #7
belleo

Sep 23, 2011 -- 7:14PM, ArnieBeeGut wrote:

Sep 22, 2011 -- 10:56PM, belleo wrote:

I prefer to believe in the normalcy of what the bible teaches . Marriage a man marries one woman .

You mean like King David or King Soloman?

Astute , I think I prefer the wedding at Cana . That was a man and a woman . And to go back to the Old Testament  didn't David have a man killed so he could be with  that man's wife . What a sin . I do like David because he admits his wrongdoing . Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2011 - 11:11AM #8
ArnieBeeGut

You're right - David having so many wives wasn't considered sinful, but that he had arranged for Bathsheba's husband to be killed so he could have her.

Having multiple wives was pretty standard in the Old Testament - presumably polygamy was considered "natural" then.. Perhaps those parts should be disregarded when considering what the Bible teaches.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2011 - 10:20PM #9
belleo

I like the Old Testament. The Book of Tobit has much to say about marriage .It makes much sense for our  today's families . Monogamy is natural in Tobit

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2011 - 1:37PM #10
TJane45

I am not going to judge on the practice of polygamy as wrong or right.  I believe that monogamy has slowly found it's way as the norm for society and religions as part of the marriage commitment.  There are so many things in society that has changed over generations, the reasons for changes is for the good of the masses, religions, and governments.  I don't think any of the changes are spiritual bases, so who can say what path a person is to take to find their truth and purpose in life?    Not all people learn the same way nor should they live the same way.  Lvie and let live.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook