Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 6:07PM #1
Niahshyla

I personally think "Emotional Cheating" is worse than "Physical Cheating". Would you agree or disagree?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 6:40PM #2
Wendyness

If you are talking about a physical encounter like a one night stand or casual sex for sex (prostitutes for example) are not as hard to endure as emotional cheating.  Emotional affairs that become physically intimate are the toughest. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 8:59PM #3
ArnieBeeGut

Maybe you would be willing to express what is meant by emotional cheating.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 9:17PM #4
Wendyness

Jun 13, 2010 -- 8:59PM, ArnieBeeGut wrote:

Maybe you would be willing to express what is meant by emotional cheating.

Arnie,

If you don't know what emotional cheating is, I would suggest you google it.  It is always a very personal story and not always something one wants to openly share on the internet.  

From Wikipedia:  Emotional Affair

" An "emotional affair" is an affair, which excludes physical intimacy but includes emotional intimacy and can begin as innocently as a friendship.  It may also be called an affair of the heart. Where one partner is in a committed monogamous relationship, an emotional affair is a type of chaste nonmonogamy without consummation.  When the affair breaches an agreement in the monogamous relationship of one of the partners to the affair, the term infidelity may be more apt.

An emotional affair has the capacity to injure a committed relationship sometimes more than if it were a one night stand or about casual sex."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 9:29PM #5
ArnieBeeGut

So you feel it's not possible to define without divulging personal information.

Even physical cheating can be ambiguous. Most people would agree that intercourse with someone other than a spouse is cheating. What about a kiss? Or a hug? A touch on the leg? A touch on the arm?

If physical cheating is not always clear-cut, then how much more ambiguous is "emotional cheating." It is important to know what the discussion is really about - which is why defining what is meant is crucial. "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you" is not exactly an effective communication technique in my experience.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 9:30PM #6
Wendyness

Jun 13, 2010 -- 9:29PM, ArnieBeeGut wrote:

So you feel it's not possible to define without divulging personal information.

Even physical cheating can be ambiguous. Most people would agree that intercourse with someone other than a spouse is cheating. What about a kiss? Or a hug? A touch on the leg? A touch on the arm?

If physical cheating is not always clear-cut, then how much more ambiguous is "emotional cheating." It is important to know what the discussion is really about - which is why defining what is meant is crucial. "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you" is not exactly an effective communication technique in my experience.

See the addition to the below post.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 9:42PM #7
ArnieBeeGut

So you feel the Wikipaedia definition makes it 100% clear what is meant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 10:34PM #8
Wendyness

Jun 13, 2010 -- 9:42PM, ArnieBeeGut wrote:

So you feel the Wikipaedia definition makes it 100% clear what is meant.

I think that Nia is clear in her mind what constitutes "emotional cheating". Besides, that is not her question.  Lending support doesn't have to involve the "details".  Physically cheating, emotionally cheating are betrayals.  Her trust has been betrayed.  

I would personally much prefer my husband having a one night stand and a zipper f--k then to find out that my husband has a secret friendship going on that involves intimate language.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 13, 2010 - 10:37PM #9
Wendyness

Arnie,

If you google author Gary Neuman you will find some pretty good information on "Emotional Affairs". He has appeared on Oprah and has lectured on the subject.  I think he would agree with Wikipedias definition of "Emotional Cheating".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2010 - 12:02AM #10
parkin

I admit I'm not very clear on what emotional cheating is either.  Is this where the spouse becomes emotionally invested in a friend?  And why should that be threatening?  Are we now under the false assumption that spouses should only depend on each other for ALL emotional support?  When does that ever happen? 

And what spouse doesn't have the occasional crush on a friend of the same or opposite sex? 

Why not celebrate and share each others' crushes with each other than feel threatened by them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook