Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View N.C. Woman Sues Mistress, Wins $9M
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 2:13PM #1
Jeanninehunter

A North Carolina woman won $9 million in a lawsuit against her husband's alleged mistress for "alienation of affection," charging that the woman broke up her 33-year marriage.

"My main message is to all those women out there who might have their eyes on some guy that is married to not come between anybody," Cynthia Shackelford told "Good Morning America" Tuesday. "It's not good to go in there. It hurts the children. My children are devastated. I'm devastated."

North Carolina is one of a handful of states that allows for this type of lawsuit. A jury awarded Shackelford $5 million in compensatory damages and $4 million in punitive damages to be paid by the alleged other woman, Anne Lundquist.

According a CBS report, "in an online post to his local newspaper, Allan Shackelford wrote that his wife '... wanted to divorce him at least two years before he began a relationship with Anne Lundquist. (The) marriage did not break-up because of Anne Lundquist.'"

I didn't know that this case law existed, one that allows someone to sue anyone for breaking a marriage contract other than the spouse. I wonder how widespread it's enforced.

Your thoughts?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 2:19PM #2
Iwantamotto

Heheheh, a law that actually DOES support marriage. :P

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 3:39PM #3
Stardove

Alienation of Affection State Laws

These states, as of 01/2008, are: Hawaii, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Dakota, and Utah.

Link has each state listed.  Texas for example had a law which was abolished in 1997.  Probably those law makers didn't want to have to pay.  Tongue out

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 3:44PM #4
appy20

I never thought this was a bad idea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 3:50PM #5
Wendyness

There's an old saying, "Money talks, B.S. walks".  I am shocked at how many women think there is nothing wrong with getting involved with a married man?  Desperate women do desperate things. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 5:12PM #6
Christianlib

Good on her.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 6:38PM #7
Girlchristian

The alienation of affection laws are the same ones Elizabeth Edwards used to threaten to sue John's former aide for his role in covering up the affair. A threat she made to try to get him to stop airing on the dirt despite the fact that she had asked him not to for her children's sake.

abcnews.go.com/GMA/John_Edwards_Scandal/...

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 6:39PM #8
CharikIeia

LOL!

This is ridiculous.

Can children sue the employer of their parents, I wonder?

"Alienation of affection", like "emotion theft".

As if a wife has purchased her husband's feelings!

There are far more important things to protect by law than an old marriage.

Sheesh!

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 6:52PM #9
Wendyness

Mar 24, 2010 -- 6:39PM, CharikIeia wrote:

LOL!

This is ridiculous.

Can children sue the employer of their parents, I wonder?

"Alienation of affection", like "emotion theft".

As if a wife has purchased her husband's feelings!

There are far more important things to protect by law than an old marriage.

Sheesh!

You toss out an "old marriage" as if it were a piece of trash.  An "old marriage" is worth it's weight in gold, literally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2010 - 7:25PM #10
Abner1

Wendyness wrote:

> You toss out an "old marriage" as if it were a piece of trash.  An "old marriage" is

> worth it's weight in gold, literally.

Er, I think perhaps you meant 'figuratively' rather than 'literally' there?  In a literal sense, marriages don't weigh anything so literally being worth their weight in gold means worthless.  Did you mean to claim that old marriages were really worthless?

Edit: no changes just a copy and paste to removed coding.

Moderated by Stardove on Mar 24, 2010 - 07:29PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook