Switch to Forum Live View The Ideal Lover - The one you just keep ignoring and ignoring.
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 1:48AM #1
many_worlds_traveler

The ideal lover - we all know that such a person should not exist, nobody is perfect, right? Well what if they did? What if such a person not only existed but was immediately available to you, no matter where you were, no matter what you were doing or feeling? And what if they loved you in such a way that not anyother person could do so? When I was in my early twenties I picked up an excellentbook by the name of "Love 101" by author Peter McWilliams. It totally jolted me out of my teenage mindset on romance and the "ideal lover!" It introduced me to the idea of loving myself as I would want a lover to do. Surprisingly I found that my own capacity for love and fulfillment was expanded and enriched by this simple concept. Slowly my ideas and views about myself began to grow more and more complex. I began to actually view myself differently because of this practice. I began by simply paying attention to my internal dialogue and trying to eliminate negative self talk. Then I gradually came to a point where I could like myself for "me" flaws and all. After all the negative and insecure stuff got worked out, I began to learn new things about myself. I began to actually knowmyself. There is so much power in knowing yourself that it actually changes your entire mind and improves every facet of your life! When you look into yourself what you will find is only limited to your ability to imagine what can be. You are trillions of times more complex and amazing as you have previously thought! After many years now, I can actually say that I love and accept myself for the person that I am. It may not sound like much of an accomplishment at first, but I am continually reminded of the stark contrast between my "old life" (when I was searching for a lover and feeling a need to be fulfilled by them) and my "new life" (now I find fulfillment within myself and there is so much love to go around, that it seeps out to others around me.) Loving others is simply a function of knowing and loving yourself in the deep and timeless manner that you were meant (from the moment of your life's beginning) to experience. I just wanted to take a moment and share this with you. It has changed my life, it will change yours as well, if you only give yourself a chance.

It is impossible to truly love anyone or anything without first loving yourself, anything else no matter how well intentioned is just an aproximation or manipulation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2010 - 11:17AM #2
Wendyness

The "inner" self is known as your "beloved" in many ancient texts.  

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook