Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What is the best advice you have been given on coping with a broken heart?
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2010 - 9:45AM #1
Rev. Laurie Sue

We welcome your stories and comments on the best advice others have given you on coping with a broken heart. Did they tell you something that helped you, stuck with you and helped you heal from the situation. Please share the best advice for dealing with a broken heart.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2010 - 9:57AM #2
Callielou

Rev Laurie Sue

I have pondered on this question, and I realize there different kinds and reasons for a broken heart.

I'm not sure if advice ever worked for me. I usually have to work things out on my own. When I lost both of my parents, I found a great deal of comfort in knowing it wasn't really over. I would see them again and I just consider them on a vacation, except they won't return, I will return to them. That makes me happy!

It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance, for it requires knowledge to perceive it; and, therefore, he that can perceive it hath it not.
Jeremy Taylor
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2010 - 7:08AM #3
bee

One of the great things about growing up and aging is that you do accumulate wisdom with all of the trials and tribulations you face in life.  When I think about what I have learned in working through those challenges whether they are related to love, health, grief, or illness is to always remember that no matter how bad something seems when you are in the middle of it, that this too shall pass.  You may not know when, but at some point, you will see it in the rearview mirror. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 11:27AM #4
val106

Stop putting focus on it.  If you don't treat it like a big deal, it will no longer be a big deal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 12:35PM #5
rickyvilleza

The other day, I was in a depression suffering from a broken heart.  It was 5:30 in the morning and I was taking my morning walk, when by happenstance, I ran into a female friend of mine sitting in her car.  She called me over, because she knew I haven't been myself lately.  Here's what she told me:  "I know you haven't been yourself.  I miss you.  I love you(as my friend).  You have such a beautiful soul!  Your so cute!  You need to be yourself."

Those words picked me up immediately and began to try to listen and repeat those words everyday inside my head.

A simple message of love and support from another person speaking from the heart and caring can be the one of best thing that can mend a broken heart. 

But I truly beleive in the end you can't just make it go away.  You must deal with the loss, the heartache, the pain, and time will heal. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2010 - 4:34PM #6
Fergie1956

Personally going through a broken heart 3 times in my life at three different ages. The following  things I did , did help: I volunteered at   something to 'get outside of myself' and receive those feel good endorphines people speak of.  Reading and working through the book and workbook "How to Get Through The Loss of a Love" which helped with a legal separation and the murder of my 63 year old mother. Then a life changing down-sizing, from a hospitalization due to a heart attack ( I wasn't found for 9 days ) and spent 23 days in an ICU then a medical floor for 6 weeks, my husband was in another hospital at the same time making decisions that were self centered-thus being deeply hurtful to me. I was released from hospital before him; moved the household to "my" little apartment and re-established living conditions with him on my terms, (he is a dialysis patient and we have been married 35 years. Life is complex and there are always complex answers to surviving the many forms of broken hearts we get along the way. The key is learning to live AROUND the scar tissue-it takes time.  Lots of time. Just try to be a better person each day, even when we don't feel like it.Cool 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2010 - 10:41AM #7
Crystal

Several years ago I lost the love of my life.  I was so brokenhearted.  His Mother pulled me aside and said to me “sometimes God brings someone into our life to save us for what is to come next”.  That was very soothing to me.  I’m still waiting but I have faith she was right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2010 - 11:01AM #8
Emtterri

"Better as a Memory" (than as your man) by the great Kenny Chesney was a song that helped me through one of my worse heartbreaks.  It helped me to incoorporate the belief that everything happens for a reason.  Although I thought I wanted this particular man in my life, I understood that this particular person needed to be just a memory.  I needed to move on.  Just over two years later, I am with the man of my dreams and the other one is just a memory.  It was difficult when I was in the thick of things, but I wouldn't change any of that heartache knowning that it helped me get to the man I love and want to spend the rest of my life with.     

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2010 - 1:34PM #9
Karen

I had a tramatic heartbreak several years ago.  My fiance' called off our wedding 3 weeks before the ceramony. I wnet through some difficult days, but I found that by dealing with my heart one day at a time and spending time alone, let me find peace.  The hardest thing to do is to be alone and deal with the reality of your situation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2010 - 7:54PM #10
mark

The best advice i can give concerning a broken heart is to be perfected in love, when i think back on our Lord and Saviour Jesus the Christ  when He was at calvary where he bled and died from a broken heart and furthermore rosed on the third day.for it is also written that the Lord is very close to the broken heart and contrite spirit. so i strongly accepted and approved by previledge that the only remedy for a broken heart is Love   i hope this will atleast  be on insight  to further your writing

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook