Switch to Forum Live View How to Have a Great Valentine's Day--- for Singles
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 2:11PM #1
Rev. Laurie Sue

Valentine's Day is the holiday of hearts, but you don't have to have a date to feel the love.

Are you single? What are you planning to do to celebrate this special holiday? Will you go out on a group date with friends? See a romantic movie? Light a candle and pray for true love?

Share your plans for showing yourself some love!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 3:04PM #2
IreneAdler

Well, I send gift cards to folks who otherwise don’t receive Valentine Day presents. That way no one is left out when the coupled folks show off the gifts they received from their loved ones.  And sometimes my little gift cards turn out to be the better gift! LOL!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2010 - 10:33PM #3
Anesis

This thread will likely get moved to the singles board, but no matter - here is a little kit I have put together for singles in my church before:

Bandaid - to health hurt from the past - Colossians 3:12-14

Pencil - to list all your blessings - Ephesians 1:3

Eraser - it's okay to make mistakes - Genesis 50:20

Mint - to remind you you're worth one - Psalm 1:7-8

Hershey's Kiss and Hug - we all need them - Acts 20:32-37

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2010 - 3:27PM #4
Tolerant Sis

I'm happily married, and both my husband and I see 'Valentine's Day' as a kiddie holiday designed to part the otherwise intelligent adult from some of his or her hard-earned money.  What on earth would possess people to demand roses in February? (Answer: well-placed advertisements by florist networks.)  

It probably doesn't hurt that my birthday is a few days before The Big Pink Day.  As a middle school/high school student my roommates and friends used to buy me whatever was in the grocery or drug store or florist's at the time, and it tended to be pink and purple hearts and flowers kind of things.  I have had enough of that sort of thing to last a lifetime.  

For us, we buy one another a box of our favorite chocolates and let it go at that.  But I have to say that Valentine's Day seemed a silly thing, even when I was single.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2010 - 4:47PM #5
appy20

Even though I am cynical about relationships and enjoy my single status, I think sending flowers is cool.  I love flowers.  I adore flowers.  Any time of year.  I only dislike flowers if someone ONLY sends them to when they want to apologize. Flowers brighten up a room for a week or 10 days.  I love receiving them from a florist.  I don't entirely know why. It certainly violates my more practical view of life.

When I have the money, I send flowers to others for any excuse I can find. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2010 - 7:48PM #6
Hatman

Appy- Are you aware that there's an entire language of flowers?  IIRC, from the mid-19th to early 20th centuries, it was all the rage to select specific flowers for a bouquet to be sent to one's sweetie; each flower has it's own unique meaning, and sometimes, as in the case of the Pimpernel, its position in the bouquet signified the meeting time for an assignation/rendezvous...which may have been the impetus behind the writing of The Scarlet Pimpernel, a tale about a spy during the French Revolution, but i could easily be wrong.  Google "Language of Flowers" sometime for a treat.  As for what i as a single man do on Valentine's day?  One year, i stopped by a Dollar store and picked up several boxes of candy, giving them away to widows and other women who looked like their day could use a lift.  Warmest regards-  Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2010 - 12:49PM #7
appy20

I do know that Hatman and choose my flowers accordingly.  I always thought that was rather neat. 

And once again, I just adore flowers. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2010 - 1:06PM #8
Spatravelwriter

Before my husband passed away, we would just do simple things for Valentine's Day....a heartfelt and humorous card for each other, dinner at home and just hold hands and watch a movie.  Once in a while, we'd go out to dinner, however it was never really a 'major' one day per year event. We did our best to show our love for each other the other days as well, simple gestures of respect and kindness.

Since his passing, it has been a difficult 'occasion,' especially with the commercials and ads for diamond jewelry, chocolates, romance, etc., and yet it was also a reminder of the love we shared as it's been important to reflect on being grateful for having that kind of love in my life.

So, back to the point of the post and celebrating as a 'single' last year.  I made a simple Italian meal, which included my favorite - a Caprese salad i.e. mozzarella, tomato, (roasted red peppers), and fresh basil drizzled with olive oil, crusty Italian bread and a glass of red wine.   And, of course dark chocolate (I like the Hershey's dark chocolate kisses or the small 3-chocolate Godiva option).  I enjoyed dining on this while listening to Josh Groban and Il Divo and then the chocolate and wine while watching 'Under the Tuscan Sun.'  It's simple, it was in my own comfortable home (thankfully, the Groban/Il Divo songs were emotional) and I was able to honor my loved one and honor my love of life. 

Thanks for the opportunity to reflect and remember. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook