5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 12:23PM #1
Sistah1

So, the Bible warns that women aren't supposed to spend too much time worried about outward appearance. What's too much? I wear makeup. I wear my naturally curly hair straight. I wear heels a lot. I usually have on earrings.

I know plenty of women who wear wigs, false nails, false lashes, girdles and push-up bras and completely alter their physique. Where's the line?

A slightly off-topic, but sort-of-related blog post.

singleindependentsistah.wordpress.com/20...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 12:59PM #2
DAH54

Dec 2, 2009 -- 12:23PM, Sistah1 wrote:

So, the Bible warns that women aren't supposed to spend too much time worried about outward appearance. What's too much? I wear makeup. I wear my naturally curly hair straight. I wear heels a lot. I usually have on earrings.

I know plenty of women who wear wigs, false nails, false lashes, girdles and push-up bras and completely alter their physique. Where's the line?

A slightly off-topic, but sort-of-related blog post.

singleindependentsistah.wordpress.com/20...

Perhaps somewhere before it becomes an obsession?  Perhaps the idea is if you are an ex-model do you really *need* cosmetic surgery? BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - A 38-year-old former Miss Argentina has died from complications after undergoing cosmetic surgery on her buttocks. 

For Technical support visit

> Dah's User to User Self Support <

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 1:48PM #3
REteach

The author (not Paul) was clearly misogynistic, but knew what turned him on. 

My opinion is more health based.  When a woman doesn't want to go out to the mailbox without her "face" on, her mental health has been warped.  When she walks around a lot in heels, which are bad for your back, feet and legs, her physical health has been warped.  Damaging yourself for a "look", IMO, is wrong.  Nothing to do with the Bible, but everything to do with becoming so obsessed with looks that one is willing to cause harm to oneself to get guys to look. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 1:55PM #4
Sistah1

REteach: That's a good point. I often wear heels -- what I consider more comfortable ones. I read your post and thought "why do I wear them"? For me, it's not because I think it makes me look better. It's because I'm 5-foot-1 and (a) feel people take me more seriously in the work place when I'm dressed professionally [and can look them in the eye] and (b) have tired of "short" jokes. LOL. However, I do have taller friends who always wear heels. I'm not sure why they wear them (maybe for fashion?), but I will ask.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2009 - 2:02PM #5
appy20

I agree with all that has been said thus far and would add that if you get to the point where you are excessively judging others based on what they wear or their makeup or look like you have left a centered spiritual place.  If it makes you feel better to look better than others, you may need some spiritual work.  If you feel worse when others look better, then you may need some spiritual work.  Bear in mind, I am not a Christian.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2009 - 1:08AM #6
Hatman
First, I agree wholeheartedly with REteach; from my observation and experience, far too many women are far too willing to suffer far too much for the sake of OUTward beauty, but rarely seem to undertake the far more difficult-but-more-rewarding task of developing their INNER beauty.

So in direct answer to your question, Sistah, I think "too much" is simply the over-emphasis on outward appearances instead of inward realities.  Any man worthy of the name prefers a woman who has or seeks a beautiful inward spiritual life (without neglecting her outward appearance overmuch) to any woman who is outwardly pretty(and spending more than 2 hours a day and major cash outlays on "products" and the necessary application skills), but inwardly ugly, mean, and cruel...and eventually, what is inside shows on the outside, no matter HOW many layers of crap a woman trowels on, or how many surgeries she has, etc.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook