Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2009 - 12:22PM #1
Anesis

Divorce can bring about a lot of different responses, which can interfere with future relationships. Fear is a big one - the fear of trusting, fear of letting yourself depend on someone again...and a very huge and real fear of mixing homes, lives, finances, etc. Some people fear the pain of woundedness and possible rejection.

The question is how can a person move past those fears so they don't affect whether or not you can step into another relationship? Do those fears continue to resurface  years into the next relationship? Once you know what the specific fears are, what can you actually do to get rid of them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2009 - 2:59PM #2
ArnieBeeGut

You pose some very important questions Anesis! Fear is certainly debilitating to any relationship, and trust is the bedrock imo - without trust, there is no relationship.

I think that even without a divorce many come into a relationship with their issues, and it is primarily that personal baggage that results in the majority of relationship problems. Divorce adds to that by being a concrete embodiment of those fears in the pain of the breakup. This is possibly who second and third marriages have statistically even worse chances of lasting than first marriages.

What I think can be done is a person can do their own individual work by acknowledging the role they played in what happened, as well as understanding what was not theirs. Letting go of the past hurts is another important element - whether one wants to call it "forgiveness" or not. There is a saying that goes something like when you've been bitten, every rope looks like a snake. So discerning whether the fear is a snake or a rope could help in recognizing whether it is because of what is happening in the present or is based on the past.

I don't know that one can consciously get rid of fears - like all feelings, fear is what it is. One can separate the feeling from the action consciously - "I feel afraid because I have been hurt before, and I choose to trust now anyway".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2009 - 12:24PM #3
1AmazingGrace

Communication with your new partner.  Talk - and leave nothing unsaid! - Grace Innocent

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 01, 2009 - 9:11PM #4
andrewcyrus

Sep 26, 2009 -- 12:22PM, Anesis wrote:

Divorce can bring about a lot of different responses, which can interfere with future relationships. Fear is a big one - the fear of trusting, fear of letting yourself depend on someone again...and a very huge and real fear of mixing homes, lives, finances, etc. Some people fear the pain of woundedness and possible rejection.

The question is how can a person move past those fears so they don't affect whether or not you can step into another relationship? Do those fears continue to resurface  years into the next relationship? Once you know what the specific fears are, what can you actually do to get rid of them?

Train wrecks have to be sifted through for recovery to be effective. I made sure God was the Engineer on my next train and my wife and I are just the passengers. We have had our up's and downs but the same God  - Jesus Christ has kept the ride fun and exhilarating. When I was running the train it would go to fast over the turns, and when she was running it, we lost site of the destination... Forgive, turn it over. Love each other with Jesus help.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2009 - 12:29AM #5
ArnieBeeGut

Oct 1, 2009 -- 12:24PM, 1AmazingGrace wrote:

Communication with your new partner.  Talk - and leave nothing unsaid! - Grace

Don't you think that some things are better left unsaid?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2009 - 9:42AM #6
clovesG

I would be shocked if someone who went through a divorce wasn't afraid in future relationships. 

I am now remarried for 3 1/2 years after my 21 year marriage ended with my x leaving for a friend of mine [who he is no longer with....they never do seem to stay with the one they leave you for].  I think the fears that were created during the failed first relationship has helped me to grow in wisdom of how to be more present in this marriage.  In the end, there are no guarantees in life or relationships.  You just need to find the happiness you can and love the ones you are with and never stop loving yourself. :)

Love,

C :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2009 - 11:34AM #7
ArnieBeeGut

Your finding happiness and fulfillment at last is an inspiration to all who are hurting from broken relationships. It is possible to do so, as you have so wonderfully shown. And I believe it also takes working on oneself as well - in a way the relationship is partly the happy outcome of that work. Seeking oneself in another or a relationship is a lost cause I believe - as you put it, start by loving yourself!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2009 - 5:55AM #8
clovesG

Thanks Arnie!  I had some REALLY great friends here on Bnet that helped me and you are one of them. :)

~C

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 8:35PM #9
ArnieBeeGut

You are such a great friend to many here as well!

Now if only the old folk would be able to overcome the "new" BNet and come back...Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2009 - 9:04PM #10
Wvurn

I am really conflicted by my recent divorce in June 2009- I knew I could not stay married to a man who was unfaithful not one time but with four different women several times over. Our home had become a battle field over the last two years I was married for 18 years and we have three beautiful children who have suffered so much. I am concentraing on rebuilding my life-while my ex just added his girlfrien to the family and never missed a beat. I do not want to hard a grudge but it really hurts to see him so happy and I feel all alone. I know in my heart that Gods will was done and he has never left me or forsaked me but sometimes feeling a loving hand would be nice. Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook