Switch to Forum Live View The Fate of Sanford's Marriage
5 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 8:57PM #1
ArnieBeeGut

By now you have no doubt heard of Gov Sanford's infidelity and the attempts to repair his marriage (not sure how visiting one's overseas mistress helps with that). What do you think is the prognosis for he and his wife managing to save their marriage? Should they even try? What would you do if you were his wife?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 11:22AM #2
Cesmom

I don't know if I could forgive my husband if he were unfaithful.  That's a hard one to really answer unless you're facing it.  I think in the situation with Sanford, I would be almost as disappointed with how he's misrepresented himself as a person as I would about the betrayal of being cheated on.  I mean, he's been so publicly critical about other politicians getting caught in similar situations, then he does it himself. 

Honestly, if the situation were in such a public light like theirs is, I don't know that I could stay.  It would be hard enough to forgive any husband who cheats.  Having his love letters to his mistress floating around on the news, in my opinion, would make it that much more unbearable.

One more thing that would make it almost impossible for me to forgive that situation...he runs off to be with his mistress on Father's Day???  Seriously???  I mean, you can't even tell yourself, 'well, he sucks as a husband, but maybe I shoud try to make it work because he's such a good father.'  He didn't just fail his marriage...he failed his kids in more ways than one.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 8:03PM #3
IreneAdler

The more that gov waxes poetic about his liasons the more I think his wife should dump him.  HOnestly, does he not comprehend how such statements must hurt her?

I mean, really, the comment about after finding his soul mate, he will try to fall in love with his wife again is so insulting to her on so many levels it's hard to believe someone is that obtuse.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 1:49PM #4
Cesmom

Jul 2, 2009 -- 8:03PM, IreneAdler wrote:

The more that gov waxes poetic about his liasons the more I think his wife should dump him.  HOnestly, does he not comprehend how such statements must hurt her?

I mean, really, the comment about after finding his soul mate, he will try to fall in love with his wife again is so insulting to her on so many levels it's hard to believe someone is that obtuse.

Irene.

I totally agree.  He should be kissing her feet and begging for forgiveness.  If my husband had an affair, THEN had the nerve to say that he had found his soul mate, but would try to fall back in love with me...I'd promptly show him to the door and even pack his things for him.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook