Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Switch to Forum Live View The Meaning of Marriage
5 years ago  ::  May 20, 2009 - 8:06AM #61
rangerken
Thanks, Melly. Frankly, I was hoping for more comments... favorable naturally... but more.
Oh well.
Ken
Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 12:53PM #62
rangerken

I was hoping for some comments about my long post...more than the one that was written. I asked my wife why she thought nobody else had responded, and this is a fairly long thread.

We both decided that my post is scary to many. Mary Clare says she thinks some feminists won't like it (and she's a retired army lieutenant colonel and definitely NOT a shy, retiring, meek, house mouse I am very glad to say)!

Anyway, I decided to try one last time to see if anyone wants to keep this thread going.

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 10:49PM #63
appy20

RangerKen,

As a radical feminist, I don't find anything to like or dislike.  Your marriage doesn't sound like it would be my cup of tea but I have seen worse.  It worked for you.  I have seen such arrangements before.   Some worked.  Most did not.  I don't consider the results of your union typical or particularly inspiring.  That doesn't matter.  It worked for you.  It sounds like your marriage was a business contract.  You wanted an incubator and found an attractive one.  You became fond of your incubator.  If things had not gone your way, you would have been out of there.  Things went your way.  It worked.  ::shrug::  Not a whole lot to comment on. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 10:20AM #64
rangerken

That's an interesting way of looking at my marriage, appy. Thanks for responding.

Would you say that my 'incubator' as you imply my wife was (we're well past child making age now) considered me to be a 'sperm donor'?

I am looking for an argument :-).

Ken

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 10:56AM #65
appy20

No, you said that you settled down for the reason to have children.  There is nothing wrong with that.  It is your marriage and it works for you and your wife. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 4:12AM #66
Adela

My partner and I still find that other people's ideas of what marriage is and therefore their assumptions about what our relationship should be or is, is the main reason we wish we hadn''t got married. 

We are very happy together but still feel that we needn't have got married . At the time, we managed to escape the whole wedding crapola and to make our time very special and truly ours and it is a lovely lovely memory, but we still found that unwanted appropriations of the idea of or the meaning of "marriage" by others (conversely, relationships) as usually quite frustrating. Strangely our gay friends and rellies were the people who encouraged us most... yet mainstream notions of marriage totally and offensively negates gay relationships. Not sure we did the right thing in that way.

Thanks for sharing

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook