Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 10:45AM #31
Hatman

It has become apparent that I misunderstood the following sentence:

The guy that I want to hire won't let me pay him for what he is worth and he is worth a lot.  I tried once.  LOL

I happen to know several people who work---sometimes both hard and long---and refuse to take a penny.  One guy in particular helped me unload a large moving van, and when I pressed twenty bux on him, crumpled it up and threw it on the ground.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 12:21PM #32
appy20

He has this thing.  He thinks greed is a particularly bad sin and he would rather undercharge than overcharge.  The irony is that when I had a word processing business for 10 years, I had the same hangup. I always undercharged.   I just didn't want to take advantage of someone. But J really does undercharge.  the going rate for lawn mowing around here is $100 an acre.  J was going to do 3 acres for $50.  A very difficult 3 acres because of all the trees and hills.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 1:02PM #33
IreneAdler

Appy- you might try to gift him well at end of the year if he will not accept going rate wage for his service.  Just a thought.  

I made sure to give an end of the year (aka Christmas) cash gift to the new groomer, to whom I have brought my dogs for service only since Fall 2008.  She's the only one who has handled Limpy with extreme care, little stress. Groomer does undercharge, yet she provides superior service (she must have some magic spell over both dogs as they seem to like the experience).  And I have explained to her that I cannot have her go out of business, please make sure this doesn't happen. She assures me this won't happen. 

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 1:08PM #34
appy20

I will find a way.  I value good people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 8:07AM #35
appy20

I got my spade fork last night and I already like it for other things.  That is one useful tool.  Thank you Hatman. 

I looked at tillers at Home Depot last night and some of the bigger tillers may not be so bad for me.  However, I have decided that at this time, I am going to concentrate on flooring for my house.  No tiller.  No Kindle.  LOL  I will try to dig some holes this weekend and if I succeed, I will order my rose bushes. It is raining and will continue through tomorrow.  Sunday, will be a perfect time to test out the spade fork.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 1:12PM #36
appy20

Hatman,

The spade fork is one of the best tools I have ever purchased.  That tool got me to thinking.  I went prowling around all the hardware and home improvement stores in the area and came up with another gem--a hand tiller.  It is like a claw hammer with a narrow hoe on one end rather than the hammer part and a three pronged claw on the other end.  It has some weight to it and an excellent grip.  With the spade fork and the hand tiller, I am able to accomplish something.  It will take me longer but I have tons of patience.  My goal is to spend the next 12 months digging (I will plant this year as I get a section dug) and by next year I should have a lot done.  By the time I retire, I will have a nice yard to lounge in. 

The positive side too is that doing it this way will increase my physical fitness.  Since I will have something to show for it in the garden, the workout won't be so depressing.

I already double dug a nice hole for my rose bush that I am going to order!

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 8:06PM #37
Hatman
Appy-
That'll work!
Yep, the first 2 years I had my garden, I turned/tilled/hoed everything by hand, too.  Frankly, I got tired of it, but yep, it'll get you in good shape.

Can't say as I've ever seen a tool such as you describe, but it sounds quite similar to a mattock, which basically has both a pick-axe blade and a heavy hoe blade on each end of the business end; I find 'em handy for trenching or ditchdigging, usually prior to installing drain pipe.

Good luck to you!  It looks like it's going to be 2-3 weeks more before I plant, here, as night temps are too close to 32F for the next week or so.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 9:58AM #38
appy20

Hatman, I had never seen one of these tillers either.  It is  a bit different from a mattock in that, the handle is short like a hammer, the pickax part is a 3 pronged fork.  What is great is the weight. It is perfect.  Not too heavy to wear me out but can really break ground.  The hoe part is narrow and tough enough to get down in the hole and really whittle away at the earth.  Add the spade fork, it really cuts the work down into manageable steps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook