Page 12 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do you ever really get over being cheated on?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2011 - 3:07AM #111
unforgiven

i need help, four years i had cheated on my husband. i didnt wear protection and caught std. so i had no choice in telling him. it was the worse experience i have ever had. our relationship has been rocky on and off but not to him. he didnt ever see anything wrong with us. i did. i love him but he just didnt make me happy. he still doesnt. ever since i have told him it has been torture,even after me apologizing he still brings it up. he makes me feel like i am a whore. a bad wife. nothing i do is enough for him i am getting tired. i want him to get over himself. i wouldnt have done it to begin with if he didnt neglect me. or treat me like a servant. cuz that's what he would do. ask me to bring  him things all the time. or he would always what me to pay everything with my money while he pockets his. he would talk down to me in front of his family members to make himself look like he got me in checked.  it was just wierd. no kisses or i love you , so i just met someone who made me feel like a women, not to find out he wasnt about nothing either. right now we have mad fights he tells my daughter that he can't stand me, or that he is only with me cuz of them. how i stress him out all the time.  but when i ask him do you want to separate he avoids the question. than he plays it off. me i have accepted the fact that he will never forgive me. i just wish he would just let me go. what do you think i should do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2011 - 3:15AM #112
unforgiven

Feb 19, 2009 -- 10:23AM, appy20 wrote:

The problem with accepting responsibility for someone else cheating is that gives everyone the right to cheat.  In other words, if my spouse is not perfect, I can cheat.  Since no one is perfect, that pretty much opens the door to cheating. I see that women get a disproportionate part of the blame here.  Men are to be forgiven and women are to be punished.  It is a pattern.   I have yet to see a list of allowed imperfections that women are permitted to have.  Also, this view does not take account biology. Some people are biologically wired to cheat.  It isn't fair or accurate to blame their partner for that.  Women have been getting the blame for male biology since the dawn of time.  Also, women with mental illnesses are prone to cheating and it isn't fair to their partners to be blamed, in any part, for that.

Another thing that really irks me is that I don't believe that cheating partners are entitled to perfect spouses.  If I am cheated on and found to be imperfect, I just think that it is not fair to work all that hard to make myself perfect for someone who is going to cheat if I don't.  Someone who is also not perfect in addition to cheating.  That kind of keeps one partner jumping through hoops all of the time.  Just because a person cheats on their spouse does not mean they are perfect in other ways.  That mentality that says "hey, I cheated on you, you better shape up" really sticks in my craw. 

If someone cheated on me (and no one ever has), I would work to improve myself but I am not going to waste those improvements on a cheater.  I am going to leave, find someone who can love me enough even when I am not perfect and who won't use my imperfections as an excuse to replace me.  All of us have a right to grow and should not be unduly punished for not being born perfect. 

No, cheating should not wreck a person but nor should it compel someone to stay in a relationship with a cheater.  It only enables the cheater.  It perpetuates the genes.  It certainly benefits a lot of cheaters. 

Another thing that irks me is that staying with cheaters hurts those of us who value and want monogamy.  Why?  Because chances are if you forgive your spouse, you are going to have children by him.  Those children will carry and perpetuate those genes.  Even though those genes enabled us to survive, we need more than survival now.  Monogamy also has value.

We have plenty of  infidelity genes floating around.  Since we do not have as many lethal STDs, we don't have nature's way of balancing things out.  Also, since monogamous people tend to have fewer offspring by multiple partners their genes are not spread as much.  Quantity is not better than quality. Monogamy could become extinct.  75% of adopted males whose biological fathers cheat, will cheat even when adopted at birth.  That is twice as high as those adopted who had monogamous biological fathers.

I think one reason that more women are cheating than ever is because monogamy genes are dying out.  I just think there needs to be a balance and monogamy should be an option for those that want it.  No one is doing anyone a favor by remaining with cheating partners.  Look folks, being alone is NOT THAT BAD.  If you genuinely like yourself, you can live without a cheater and be happy.

IMO, to put up with cheating, you have to be desperately afraid of being alone.

interesting thought, ok i am assuming you are a man, right? well i have cheated on my husband, i to your philisophy about it not being the spouse fault to an extent. my husband is treated like a king,not to justify anthing that i have done, but in all honest he did play a role in me cheating, he neglected me, took me for granted, never appreciated what i would do for him, he made me feel unworthy of his love, and yes i still stayed with him,i made the mistake of cheating and told him and now he doesnt forgive me but yet he doesnt want us to separate explain that to me, why? obviously he cant forgive me why be with me, we dont have sex , we fight all the time, it's awful. let me know your opinion on this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2011 - 1:50PM #113
Anniesheart2

Its really tough to try to let go. We have been married 23 years, together 24 1/2. I love him, but I put up some really tough walls. He has had affairs, the first apparently when I was pregnant with our daughter, she is 21 1/2 now. The last supposedly 2 1/2 years ago with my ex daughter in law.

I found out about all this this last March, when my ex DIL came to me to tell me her guilt. It was really hard for me, I immediately decided divorce, but by the end of the day I was feeling so much numbness, shame, uncertainty, hurt, pain, it was horrible. How else do you describe when your life is shattered?

I somehow saw the post here, and started reading and added a post. ReTeach, I have to thank you for your posts, as they gave me such hope. 5 1/2 months later, we are having fun, enjoy each other, and yes, there is still alot of hurt. He told me, vaguely, but nonethe less, who he slept with, changed his story a few times, and now the story is always the same.

We both cried, and decided that we would work through this mess. It has gone both ways over the course of these few months, with threats of suicide from him, threats of it getting ugly if we divorced, but yet I stood the same as I always had, not swaying from my own needs. We talked quite a bit, and he now doesn't really want to talk about it anymore. He says I am his life, and he will never do it again.

If he decides he is not happy, he will go. Well, I had heard all this before, but when I look and listen to the emotions written on his face and what is in his voice, I know that he means it. He, I think is truly sincere in his apologies and remorse. Its still not easy, but I have made it this far.

For anyone interested, try checking out marriagesherpa.com. It has really given me some good help in moving past this, getting rid of the negative thoughts, as ReTeach said, if you are going to try to start out again, and move forward, you have to let go what YOU think happened, what YOUR imagination is telling you what happened, accept the fact that it did happen, and gain control of yourself, your thoughts, your life. You cant live in the past, its too tough on you. There is a lot of good articles with peoples comments, their stories, what they have accomplished, people reaching out to help others, people reaching out for help. Its a great community.

Again, I just wanted to thank you, ReTeach, as you do have to reteach yourself in moving forward past this mess.

Anniesheart2
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 01, 2011 - 5:08PM #114
appy20

Unforgiven,

I think cheating is a serious thing.  It isn't a "mistake."  It is a very dishonest, disloyal thing to do to a mate. I believe that if your mate is so horrible that he/she would make you be dishonorable and disloyal, then the relationship should be ended--before a new relationship begins.  If someone is so bad that they deserve to be cheated on, then they should be divorced.  I think that forgiveness is a very important part of a relationship but there are some things, imo, that are unforgivable.  Just a few.  Violence, criminal activity, drug and alcohol addictions, and adultery.  Everything else, I think should be worked through.  Including feeling neglected, whatever.  If you are neglected because he does not love you, then you must leave but I don't think you should cheat.  There is nothing that could make me cheat.  If anyone I were involved with were that bad, I would leave first.  If I were committed to that person, I would attempt to fix every problem we had except for violence, drug addiction/alcoholism, criminal behavior and adultery.  There are some things, very few things, that are automatic deal breakers. Adultery is one of them.

I do believe that one reason we have so much adultery now is because in the past, people did not leave adulterers and just bore their children, thus passing on their genes.  I do believe that monogamy is threatened.  Actually, I think it is dead which is why I have no interest, whatsover, in dating or marriage.  I will never date again and have not had a date in 17 years.  The dating pool is very shallow.  Most of the men here where I live that are available for dating were dumped by their wives for cheating, violence or drug/alcohol addiction.  I have no use for that.  I am female. Life is too short to live without honor, respect and safety.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 7:19PM #115
REteach

Jgirl,

I think there is a difference between doing something awful and being an awful person.  A generally good person can do something awful, but then fix things and go on being a good person.  An awful person is going to continue being awful because that is their default mode.  There may be good points to love about an awful person, but at some point it may be wise to acknowledge that the one you love is simply not going to/is not able to change.  At that point, you need to decide whether you are content enough being unhappy, or decide that there are logical consequences to behavior and let someone go their own path without your help.  

When Jesus talked about divorce, women couldn't just go out and get a job.  About the only good job for a divorced woman at that time was prostitute.  He was telling men that they should not turn their spouses into prostitutes.  It was a social justice issue more than a moral issue.  If it is the best thing for you to follow a life with less pain, Jesus will understand. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 7:29PM #116
REteach

Unforgiven,

That is kind of the problem with failing to fish or cut bait, isn't it?  I do not hold with cheating, but I also do not think that cheating necessarily means a person is a bad person.   I think the noncheating spouse, if they want the marriage to continue, also needs to look at what behaviors on their part may have contributed.

What I am hearing is that you do not really love your husband and he has not forgiven you, and is unwiling to make any changes to make things work.  Why are you together?  Have you had couples counseling?  Would he be demonstrative if he knew it truly meant losing you otherwise?  Are you willing to be faithful, or at least get out of the marriage before having another partner?  

I can tell you it can take years for the pain and hurt and betrayal to go away even in the presence of good behavior.  If you want this to work, you need to acknowledge that you really did screw up, and although his behavior may have contributed, you were the one who misbehaved.  

I can tell you that marriage can survive and even thrive after infidelity, but it takes a long time for the wounds to heal.  You screwed up.  It is going to be hard for a while.  Either admit you do not love him and never will again and leave, or see if he is willing to go to counseling and work out the problems.  There is no magic wand that will take away his pain.  OTOH, I don't see where giving up everything that is you to hang on to him helps either of you.  You will need to find a path through this and there are going to be a lot of thorns. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 7:36PM #117
REteach

Thanks, Annie, and good luck.  

Perhaps at some point the question one needs to ask is what is more important--revenge or a happy future.  Being married does mean some sacrifice on both parts.  While I do not believe someone should become a rug in order to remain married, I have also discovered that some sacrifice in pride can result in long term happiness.  Most of us probably have more pride than we really need anyway.  It can be funny how sometimes the stuff that is irritating is so small and easily fixed--refilling the ice cube tray for exampe.  

I wish you all the best of luck. It can be done.  We can become stronger and wiser.  It still hurts like hell at the time.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2011 - 10:57AM #118
JanaDale

Beliefnet recently interviewed one man that overcame the devastating news that his wife was leaving him for someone else. Check out his story of pain and forgiveness:

How to Forgive After an Affair:

www.beliefnet.com/Love-Family/Relationsh...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2011 - 1:28PM #119
Livinglife718

I was cheated on by my husband i poste dup my story a while back...and now its been a year and i reealy feel like moving on and i think i want to tell the girl that i fogive her ...i think its a good idea. what are ya opinions?..or what did you guys did diffrent to move one

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2011 - 9:15PM #120
REteach

I suspect she is not waiting for nor wanting your forgiveness.  I suspect she would view it differently than you mean it.  I think you can go ahead and forgive her, but I wouldn't contact her and tell her that.  At least, not unless you are in frequent contact with her anyway. Anyway, that is what I think. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 12 of 24  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 24 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 2 guests
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook