Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 9:31AM #1
KatherineOrthodixie
Don't have any opinion/experience of online dating, but I read an article this morning that said the vast majority of people who visit/frequent these sites are married (!!!!!) so caveat emptor, I guess, is the lesson here.
“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 9:54AM #2
appy20
I used to head a large computer lab at my last library and most of the guys on the sites were married. 

Also, I keep repeating this but it is true.  I live in an area where there are no single men and even the worst of them are in great demand.  The competition is stiff.  So, if a guy is online, changes are something isn't quite kosher.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 2:00PM #3
wyrmy

KatherineOrthodixie wrote:

Don't have any opinion/experience of online dating, but I read an article this morning that said the vast majority of people who visit/frequent these sites are married (!!!!!) so caveat emptor, I guess, is the lesson here.

Actually, I think the statistic was 30%. Too many but not exactly a "vast majority".

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 3:40PM #4
appy20
On Plenty of Fish, I have gotten two replies and both guys were married even though I explicitly stated No married men.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 6:46PM #5
SallySeven
There are a lot of married people of OKCupid, but you get to select whether to be displayed as single, seeing someone, married or "available" which means you're in an open relationship. Now, that doesn't eliminate the fact that some people lie, but what's to say that person you meet in a bar isn't lying either?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 9:37AM #6
KatherineOrthodixie

SallySeven wrote:

There are a lot of married people of OKCupid, but you get to select whether to be displayed as single, seeing someone, married or "available" which means you're in an open relationship. Now, that doesn't eliminate the fact that some people lie, but what's to say that person you meet in a bar isn't lying either?

Well, it's not so much that "some" people lie about their marital status online (or in real life, for that matter!) as it is that the article said the majorityof people using online dating services are married. (of course, you wonder how the authors of the study know that).

“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 9:37AM #7
KatherineOrthodixie

SallySeven wrote:

Well, it's not so much that "some" people lie about their marital status online (or in real life, for that matter!) as it is that the article said the majorityof people using online dating services are married. (of course, you wonder how the authors of the study know that).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2009 - 1:35PM #8
appy20
I don't know the percentage but I do know that 100% of the people that have contacted me have been married and that is after I listed no marrieds in the site preferences AND also reiterated that point in my profile.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 5:41PM #9
SallySeven
Well, you'll have this. I stated in my profile that I only wanted people capable of intelligent conversation, but I still got lots of people capable only of "Hi, how are you? What do you do? Wanna meet?" To this day I get solicitations even though I say specifically on my profile "I'm off the market."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 10:36PM #10
PirateJohn

appy20 wrote:

I live in an area where there are no single men and even the worst of them are in great demand.  The competition is stiff.

Jeez, I'm living in the wrong state!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook