6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2008 - 11:31PM #1
prucha25
I was raised in the Catholic faith and married in the Church.  I was divorced 12  years later and remarried civally.
My husband and I had issues, but had we both been more mature they could have been resolved.  I did not fully understand what I had done in breaking up the marriage.  I talked to my parish priest about this, including getting an annulment.  However, when we were done with the sacrament of reconciliation, I was looking for some words of encouragement.  Instead I was told over and over of the grave state I was in, which I knew.  I would have preferred something along the lines of this is very grave.....but don't despair, I will help you.  I would like to attend another parish and speak to a priest there.  Is this permissable?  I know we are supposed to attend our own parish.  I have been miserable over this.  Can someone shed some light?  Sorry this is so long....thanks for any help you can offer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 11:28PM #2
ArnieBeeGut
prucha25,

Welcome to the Divorce and Separation Forum, and sorry for what has brought you here.  There are many caring members here who are glad to share their feedback and suggestions.  For issues related to Church teachings, however, you are likely to get more knowledgeable responses on a Catholic forum.  You were hurt and disappointed by what you heard, and are perhaps wondering if it was just what this priest thought.

You are likely to get a similar (but hopefully more compassionate) response from another priest because marriage is considered a Sacrament, and from the standpoint of the Church you are considered still married to your first husband.

This forum being a multi faith one, we are not so much concerned with the "rules" of one religion or another as much as the interpersonal issues involved when marriages or relationships become hurting, and also dealing with the consequences.  So we here are in no position to judge how "grave" or not you may be - that is up to God to decide, imo.

Maybe you would be willing to express what your desired outcome is.

I wish you all the best.

Blessings,
ArnieBeeGut
Beliefnet Community Host
Divorce & Separation
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 11:28PM #3
ArnieBeeGut
prucha25,

Welcome to the Divorce and Separation Forum, and sorry for what has brought you here.  There are many caring members here who are glad to share their feedback and suggestions.  For issues related to Church teachings, however, you are likely to get more knowledgeable responses on a Catholic forum.  You were hurt and disappointed by what you heard, and are perhaps wondering if it was just what this priest thought.

You are likely to get a similar (but hopefully more compassionate) response from another priest because marriage is considered a Sacrament, and from the standpoint of the Church you are considered still married to your first husband.

This forum being a multi faith one, we are not so much concerned with the "rules" of one religion or another as much as the interpersonal issues involved when marriages or relationships become hurting, and also dealing with the consequences.  So we here are in no position to judge how "grave" or not you may be - that is up to God to decide, imo.

Maybe you would be willing to express what your desired outcome is.

I wish you all the best.

Blessings,
ArnieBeeGut
Beliefnet Community Host
Divorce & Separation
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook