6 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2008 - 3:31PM #1
hotshot02
I have a question, it is kind of strange.  Is it okay to date and marry your god sister?  I feel that it is morally wrong for if something would have happen to your own parents then you would had grown up with them.  I believe it would be like having a sexually relationship with your half-brother or step sister.  Very wrong....but is it okay....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2008 - 11:33PM #2
SatanicStalker
I don't see how there could be anything morally wrong with it. It may feel weird if you did end up being raised together, but the reason that it's considered by many people to be wrong to marry your sister is genetic. When people who are too closely related genetically try to have children, those children are far more prone to genetic disorders. If two god siblings loved one another and wanted to marry, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't.

I admit I don't fully understand the modern custom of God parents... a friend of mine in high school had a god son who was two years younger than her, so I deduced that in her family at least the main point was not for her to be expected to raise him should his parents die, but it was a different sort of family culture thing.

~Stalker
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2008 - 10:12AM #3
KatherineOrthodixie
In Orthodox Christianity, the role of godparent is clearly defined. Every person, child or adult, has a godparent (if an adult, a sponsor) at the time that they enter into the faith. To be a godparent is at the same time a great honor and a tremendous responsibility. For this reason the role of the godparent is not to be minimized or trivialized. It is in fact a role that is holy and needs to be taken seriously. The godparent implicitly pledges himself to aid his godchild in whatever necessities that may arise, but most especially in the giving of a good Orthodox Christian example to the Godchild. People are encouraged to choose sponsors or godparents outside of the family, so that in this way, the family grows and special bonds are created. A faithful godparent will make the effort to maintain close contact with their godchild, building up their relationship. The main focus, however, is the progress of the child in the knowledge and practice of the Christian life. The godparent should pray, fast, read from Holy Scripture, and participate in the sacramental life of the Church. As they grow and mature in the faith, they will in turn be able to offer more and more to their godchild who has been entrusted to them.

It is primarily a spiritual relationship, but close familial bonds are formed. If the OP has any concerns, they should consult their clergyperson.
“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook