Switch to Forum Live View Should I move or not?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 10:55AM #1
Kita
This is more of a practical question. I am in the process of getting divorced and am wondering whether it could have any negative consequences if I move out of the house that I share with my still husband before we get divorced.

His lawyer wanted to know whether I have already moved and I'm wondering what that has to do with anything.

Does anybody know?

Kita
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 5:19PM #2
Hatman

Kita wrote:

This is more of a practical question. I am in the process of getting divorced and am wondering whether it could have any negative consequences if I move out of the house that I share with my still husband before we get divorced.

His lawyer wanted to know whether I have already moved and I'm wondering what that has to do with anything.

Does anybody know?

Kita

Kita-
In many jurisdictions, there must be a year-long physical separation before the divorce can be finalized; this may be the only reason why his attorney is asking, but I think you do well to be suspicious; attorneys regularly lie.

But before I went, IF I went, I'd photograph/videotape everything of value, especially anything that was my sole property before the marriage was entered into.  I'd also be certain to photograph/copy all important paperwork---bankbooks, stocks, deeds, titles, wills, that sort of thing---just as a way of protecting your interests and those of your children(if any).

You might also want to visit www.divorcecare.com, and see if there's a meeting near you; chance are high that those with experience will be more able to address your question(s) more thoroughly, and in the jurisdiction you're in, as well.

If you have either the time or inclination, you may wish to find a law library near you and research how the laws read on divorce/separation/child support/custody or whatever else your issues are likely to be; attorneys---much like doctors and politicians---should not be trusted either implicitly or explicitly, imho, as THEY will not be living with the consequences of their errors.

Warmest regards-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2007 - 11:48AM #3
Kita
Hatman,

thanks for your kind advice. My still husband and I have been talking about divorce for the last 8 years now and we went to the lawyer and set up a separation agreement. Everything is pretty much worked out. The only thing that is missing is that the lawyer has to file the divorce papers, and as it seems my husband is not in any rush to make sure it's done.

In the end, if things don't move forward, I have to contact my own lawyer and get the ball rolling.

I guess I will move as soon as possible, no matter what...

Kita
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook