Switch to Forum Live View Can Catholic Get Divorced?
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 2:14PM #1
ESTABIZ
Last year a friend of my convert to being a Catholic.  She tells me that Catholic now accept divorce.

Is this true or is this still a sin?

Can you get re-married in a Catholic Church if divorced?

I was educated by the old style nuns - the ones that where fire and birmstone type of Catholic.

Any Catholic that can shed light on some of my questions.  Thank you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 7:25PM #2
AFunkySensation
I'm by no means Catholic, but I thought to ask you, why have someone else dictate to you what you believe? It looks like you just want your knowledge to be expanded without the real intention of ever having to utilize the knowledge. If your friend ever gets maaried, and decided that she want a divorce and/or remarry, then ya'll ought pray to God... of course you might have to take a pit stop or two, but you go ahead and pray yourself, and study the Bible yourself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2007 - 7:34PM #3
ArnieBeeGut
ESTABIZ,

Welcome to the Divorce & Separation Forum!  This is a multi-faith forum, and you may wish to also pose your question in one of the Catholic forums, since it really is about Catholic Church teachings.  As a Catholic, I can answer to the best of my knowledge and understanding, but I am anything but an expert and my answers shouldn't be taken as canonical by any means!

Last year a friend of my convert to being a Catholic.  She tells me that Catholic now accept divorce.

Is this true or is this still a sin?

Divorce has never been a sin in the Catholic Church, but only because it doesn't "exist."  A couple can get a civil divorce, but if they have married in the Church, they are still considered to be married in the eyes of the Church.  What would be considered a sin would be her having sex with a new partner, whether she "married" him or not, because that would be considered adultery

Can you get re-married in a Catholic Church if divorced?

Since she would still be considered married, this would not be possible without first obtaining a writ of nullity - namely a determination that the prior marriage was not Sacramental.  This is not the same as a divorce, which again does not exist in the Church.

I was educated by the old style nuns - the ones that where fire and birmstone type of Catholic.

I am sorry to hear that.  Your education was full of fear and, sadly, did not present a faithful view of what Catholicism is about.

I wish you and your friend all the best!

ArnieBeeGut
Beliefnet Community Host
Divorce & Separation

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook