Switch to Forum Live View The Drake Institution
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 1:53PM #1
qtbabe
Hi all,

I wonder if you know some one or yourself put your kid in Drake Institute of Behavior Medicine? My 12 year old son was diagnosed as ADD slightly (50% clinical trial selection, so he's at the bottom line) when he was 8 year old. Because of having hard time to pay attentions in class, he's academically behind his classmates.  He doesn't remember his schedule for quizzes and tests, my husband and I have to be on top of his class schedules all the time.  Sometime, I feel overwhelmed with all his classes and he's only 7th grader. We were hoping that as he grows older, his brain becomes more mature which it showed in a way.  But it seems that things around him develop faster than his brain.  I worked in a pharmaceutical company, so I know some medications are benefit and some are just for temporary relief and not a resolution to your disease and some time, it is more harm and cure. I didn't believe in the medications that doctor prescribed to him.  Just recently, I found this Drake Institute and went thru consultations.  I thought it was great with the theory of Neurofeedback and their treatment plans.  I'm skeptical on the results because not knowing anyone had been treated there. 

Please let me know if you've heard about this Drake Institute and would you recomend it?

Thank you all for your help and advices
QT:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 4:46PM #2
Hatman
QT-
I've never heard of the place, but I've generally found Google to be a great place to find testimonials, both positive AND negative, about both products AND services.

Just put what you're looking for in quotes, then outside the quoted word/phrase, put another word to narrow the search parameters---for example ["The Drake Foundation" complaints].

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 4:58PM #3
qtbabe
Thank you, Hatman for the tips! I'll do that....
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 5:39PM #4
DustyLady
I worked in special education for a number of years before changing careers.  I much prefer seeing a child educated in his home school, with his peers, and recieving support from trained professionals there.  To me, placing a child in a separate school should be something reserved for problems that can't be handled any other way.  I wonder if this place has an after-school program?

Dusty
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2007 - 7:28PM #5
qtbabe
Hi Dusty,

Thanks for your comments.  I totally agree with you on that one!  Actually this Drake Institute is not for schooling but more like a treatment center.  They use a technology that calls as Neurofeedback to diagnose one's brain functions.  They use wavelength signals to map out the brain functions and compare a diagnosed one to a normal one.  So, the theory of their treatment is similar to training your muscle.  Once they determine which area of one's brain give lower or higher signal than a "standard" ones, they'll use computer technique to train the muscle of that area to focus or to get wavelength to the normal level.  The theory made sense, but not so sure the treatment would work because I really don't know if our brains work like our muscles in that way.  The diagnose and treatment are very expensive and not covered by insurance.  I don't mind the money but just not sure it would work....
But thanks for your thoughts
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook