Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Study: Messy vs. Clean Desks
4 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2014 - 8:48PM #11
mountain_man

As some have hinted at here; different desks get different treatment. My desk at work is fairly clean, but I spend most of my time out in the field. My work truck is a mess though. My computer desk at home has several piles of papers and some would consider it messy. My work bench out in the shop is clean. I can't be creative and make things in the shop with a messy bench. I need room to spread out. Right now I'm building a rock saw and that one project is taking up the whole bench.... and it's a big work bench.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2014 - 9:50PM #12
teilhard

LOL ...

Same here ... While I am a "Piler," my Sweetie-Spouse is a "Filer" ...

Sometimes she asks me to find *Something* for her in the Filing Cabinet but I have great Difficulty knowing where to START the Search when she can't remember the Category under which she "filed" it ...

Jan 1, 2014 -- 8:17PM, Svetlana wrote:

I propose that there is a difference between "messy" and "unorganzied".  There are a lot of papers on my desk, but they are organized into piles (as someone posted above).  I know where to find what I need, I just don't have room for a file cabinet or even another shelf to hold those piles in a "neater" way.  I am "organized", but it looks "messy".

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2014 - 5:37PM #13
Erey

I think the whole creative people are messier can be taken too far.  I think in order to be creative you do need a certain amount of order and structure.  If you are going to actually follow through anyway. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2014 - 6:28PM #14
Ebon

I'm a mixture of the two. Certain important subjects have folders devoted to them (for example, my bank records). If something comes that belongs to one of those categories, it goes straight into the folder. As I spend so much time at my desk, it tends to get cluttered but it's cluttered in a very specific way. On my right are piles of things which I refer to frequently (currently has a "Teach Yourself Java" book on the top). On my left are my dictionary, thesaurus, this year's Writers & Artists Yearbook and a couple of books on HTML coding.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2014 - 10:10AM #15
Iwantamotto

Jan 4, 2014 -- 5:37PM, Erey wrote:

I think the whole creative people are messier can be taken too far.  I think in order to be creative you do need a certain amount of order and structure.  If you are going to actually follow through anyway. 

I have order.  It's just a very flexible order. :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2014 - 11:53PM #16
Erey

Jan 5, 2014 -- 10:10AM, Iwantamotto wrote:

Jan 4, 2014 -- 5:37PM, Erey wrote:

I have order.  It's just a very flexible order. :)

I can relate!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 13, 2014 - 11:58AM #17
rangerken

Messy minded executives value highly non messy minded adminstrative assistants (used to be called secretaries) who keep their stuff in order.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2014 - 11:36AM #18
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook