Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Spanking Linked to Mental Illness, Says Study
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 6:39PM #1
mountain_man

Many people have been saying this for years. Here is ANOTHER study that supports that claim.

Here's the link to the article. Read it before you dismiss it!

Here's a quote:

Researchers examined data from more than 34,000 adults and found that being spanked significantly increased the risk of developing mental health issues as adults. According to their results, corporal punishment is associated with mood disorders, including depression and anxiety, as well as personality disorders and alcohol and drug abuse. They estimate that as much as 7 percent of adult mental illness may be attributable to childhood physical punishment, including slapping, shoving, grabbing, and hitting. The study reports that spanking ups the risk of major depression by 41 percent, alcohol and drug abuse by 59 percent, and mania by 93 percent, among other findings.

34,000 means that they did not just look at a few opinions. They looked at the data, the mental illnesses, the substance abuse, and other facts about 34,000 adults and how that related to their being "spanked" or not as a child.

Of course these facts will not change the beliefs of those that have a need to hit children.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 10:34PM #2
Ebon

I suspect this is one of those issues (like many where anecdotes rule the day) where people have already drawn their lines in the sand and nothing, up to and including a sky-written message from God, will change their minds.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2012 - 10:58PM #3
mountain_man

Jul 2, 2012 -- 10:34PM, Ebon wrote:

I suspect this is one of those issues (like many where anecdotes rule the day) where people have already drawn their lines in the sand and nothing, up to and including a sky-written message from God, will change their minds.

That's part of the problem; some people insist on hitting children when it has proven to produce negative effects. I guess they have a dire need to prove they're the boss and beat children into submission.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 10:04AM #4
mytmouse57

Nothing here we didn't already know -- or should have known. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 12:36PM #5
Cesmom

I completely agree that there's no reason to physically discipline a child.

We should clarify, though, because I think a lot of times when people have the spanking debate, they actually aren't talking about the same thing.

From the article...

"We're not talking about just a tap on the bum," study author Tracie Afifi, PhD, of the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, explained in a statement. "We were looking at people who used physical punishment as a regular means to discipline their children." 

I hope more people take notice of the study.  Unfortunately, the people who need to probably won't.  

A lot of people seem to believe that it's lack of spanking that's created the out of control, disrespectful kids and teenagers we often see running around today.  It has nothing to do with lack of spanking...it has to do with lack of consistent rules and consequences.  Lack of consistent discipline is what leads to out of control kids.  There is no reason for that discipline to be physical. 

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 12:47PM #6
REteach

Jul 3, 2012 -- 12:36PM, Cesmom wrote:

A lot of people seem to believe that it's lack of spanking that's created the out of control, disrespectful kids and teenagers we often see running around today.  It has nothing to do with lack of spanking...it has to do with lack of consistent rules and consequences.  Lack of consistent discipline is what leads to out of control kids.  There is no reason for that discipline to be physical. 

Exactly.  I see people in the clinic all the time who just yell at their kids, but NEVER get off their butts to stop them from doing whatever it is they are telling them to stop doing.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 5:39PM #7
Iwantamotto

I was spanked and I'm sane.  *twitch twitch*

:D

In all seriousness, though, any "issues" I have are from arbitrary abuse, not the spanking.  No, it was the beating, the threats of abandonment, etc.  I only rarely tap the butts of my labs, but I know their canine family would've had no problems with showing the kids the error of their ways.  At any rate, when I cry at night over memories of childhood, it's not the spanking that traumatizes, but the knowledge that I just didn't do it for my parents, who were hoping apparently for something else.

There are worse things than spanking.  Forgive me if I feel those who cry over being spanked are whining.

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 5:53PM #8
mainecaptain

Jul 2, 2012 -- 10:58PM, mountain_man wrote:

Jul 2, 2012 -- 10:34PM, Ebon wrote:

That's part of the problem; some people insist on hitting children when it has proven to produce negative effects. I guess they have a dire need to prove they're the boss and beat children into submission.

This is my impression as well. The desire for control, but then a lot of horrendous things are done in the desire for power and control

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 6:14PM #9
Cowfornow

This might also support the heredity factor, as in, anyone who beats their children is pretty messed up, and who knows what a peek into their minds might show.  I received some spankings and swats growing up, but they never got into beating or abuse territory.  The verbal smackdowns, however, are the gifts that keep on giving.

Here you will find no works of poetry or philosophy.  I take pride in functioning without rhyme or reason.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2012 - 9:54PM #10
mountain_man

Jul 3, 2012 -- 6:14PM, Cowfornow wrote:

This might also support the heredity factor, as in, anyone who beats their children is pretty messed up, and who knows what a peek into their minds might show.

It can also be a learned behavior. They might actually believe that hitting children is good for them. That's what they learned from their parents. What I learned is that constant verbal and physical abuse is NOT something I wanted my children to experience. Neither of my 2 girls were hit or verbally abused. Both were angels though and rarely needed a little direction in the form of some kind of punishment, loss of a cherished toy, or having to do an extra chore, or listen to a dreaded lecture from daddy.

I received some spankings and swats growing up, but they never got into beating or abuse territory.  The verbal smackdowns, however, are the gifts that keep on giving.

The abuse doesn't have to be physical for the scars to last a lifetime.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook