Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Discount Supermarkets = Obesity?
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 4:45PM #21
BDboy

Jun 21, 2012 -- 12:07PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Jun 21, 2012 -- 11:50AM, Ironhold wrote:

a recent study shows that people who shop at discount supermarkets are more likely to be overweight than those who shop at higher-priced stores.

The researchers are thinking that if the discount stores could be convinced to carry healthier versions of popular items, then the obesity rate could be controlled as it would put "affordable" health food within reach of the average consumer.

Anyone wanting to bet that some politician's just gonna use this as an excuse to ban discount supermarkets?

People who shop at the discount centers probably tend to be poor. Poor tend to be not as healthy as the well-off. 

Well-off people probably have more knowledge, spare money and time, to undertake such things as shopping for healthier foods, preparing better meals, gym memberships, active sports and hobbies -- such as bicycling or skiing -- and so on. 

Poor people probably aren't as well educated on things such as nutrition and fitness, plus they might be working two -- or more -- jobs, just to make ends meet. So they don't have the time to prepare meals from whole foods, or go work out. 

>>>>>> You can also add many aspect to this data. If you add race to it, it will look twisted.

Yes, discont shops will tend to draw more poor people than speciality shops. Yes poor people tend have more health issues (Not having insurance, doctor visits, diet etc) than people with more resources and education.

Looks like this inequity will continue in current system. Click here to see another graph

Having said that, we have to realize being fat is mostly a choice by each of us. There are poor people who takes better care of their health and there are rich people who don't.

Discount shops caters to both groups. Because many rich people ALSO shops at discount shops to save money.

You did make some good observations though. It is always more difficult to go to gym, if I have two jobs to worry about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 8:38PM #22
REteach

Jun 22, 2012 -- 4:45PM, BDboy wrote:

Having said that, we have to realize being fat is mostly a choice by each of us. .

I attended a CME last month on obesity. It is actually pretty complex. In one study, normal weight people were fed an extra thousand calories a day for a month.  Weight gain with the same caloric intake varied from 0.4 kg to over 5 kg.  Apparently genetics can load the gun but a toxic nutritional environment can pull the trigger in susceptible people.

After all obesity is a genetic benefit to get us through famine. In fact, when people try to decrease their intake, their metabolism tends to go down (which is why exercise is so critical for a weight loss program.)

Bottom line--don't become obese. About the only effective treatment in the long run is gastroplasty.  Be honest about the size of your children and stop trying to tell me they are just "big boned."  Bones don't jiggle.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2012 - 9:31PM #23
jane2

Jun 22, 2012 -- 8:38PM, REteach wrote:

Having said that, we have to realize being fat is mostly a choice by each of us. .

I attended a CME last month on obesity. It is actually pretty complex. In one study, normal weight people were fed an extra thousand calories a day for a month.  Weight gain with the same caloric intake varied from 0.4 kg to over 5 kg.  Apparently genetics can load the gun but a toxic nutritional environment can pull the trigger in susceptible people.

After all obesity is a genetic benefit to get us through famine. In fact, when people try to decrease their intake, their metabolism tends to go down (which is why exercise is so critical for a weight loss program.)

Bottom line--don't become obese. About the only effective treatment in the long run is gastroplasty.  Be honest about the size of your children and stop trying to tell me they are just "big boned."  Bones don't jiggle.  

Many factors influence weight-gain. For those in middle-age prescribed meds can induce substantial weight gain. No teens or children in our family are heavy, nor were my own three, all of whom were athletes; as teens each had a sweet snack for the week and a decent diet. Their grandparents were not overweight nor were mine, born in the 1880's.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2012 - 3:57PM #24
mytmouse57

Jun 22, 2012 -- 9:31PM, jane2 wrote:

Jun 22, 2012 -- 8:38PM, REteach wrote:

Many factors influence weight-gain. For those in middle-age prescribed meds can induce substantial weight gain. No teens or children in our family are heavy, nor were my own three, all of whom were athletes; as teens each had a sweet snack for the week and a decent diet. Their grandparents were not overweight nor were mine, born in the 1880's.

Being fat used to be a sign of wealth and prosperity. 

People used to envy fat folks. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2012 - 4:59PM #25
klm

a recent study shows that people who shop at discount supermarkets are more likely to be overweight than those who shop at higher-priced stores.

The researchers are thinking that if the discount stores could be convinced to carry healthier versions of popular items, then the obesity rate could be controlled as it would put "affordable" health food within reach of the average consumer.

Anyone wanting to bet that some politician's just gonna use this as an excuse to ban discount supermarkets?

unfortunately there is always someone who feels they should legislate peoples behavior.  
Banning or forcing companys to stop selling certain foods or forcing them to carry others won't stop obesity.     A person has to want to stop and have to see themselvs as having to loose weight. 

I shop at a local Winco because the prices can't be beat.    They have the same fruits  and vegetable as the regular prices markets.    .   If more overwight people shop at discount places its not because they don't carry good food or it isn[t affordable.   Also every regular supermarket I've ever been in accepts food stamps.    Some were in poor neighborhoods, some in richer.   I live in the southwest in a neighborhood with a huge lower income Mexican population.   There are several large grocery stores which cater to this group. I've been in many and in each there have been  good selections of food.    Tons of fruits,, vegetable, grains you name it.   The good food is out there.   Its all about what people want to eat, not what they should.   As long as people are accepted by their peers and as long as they don't see themselves as overweight they'll remain that way.     Maybe more public service anouncements or effective ads or more infomation taught in schools health class's.       

I agree there are segments that can't get to these grocery stores and have to go to the corner stores where there isn't any fresh stuff at all.   but this doesn't account for all the overwight Americans.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2012 - 5:00PM #26
klm

Oct 30, 2012 -- 4:59PM, klm wrote:

unfortunately there is always someone who feels they should legislate peoples behavior.  
Banning or forcing companys to stop selling certain foods or forcing them to carry others won't stop obesity.     A person has to want to stop and have to see themselvs as having to loose weight. 

I shop at a local Winco because the prices can't be beat.    They have the same fruits  and vegetable as the regular prices markets.    .   If more overwight people shop at discount places its not because they don't carry good food or it isn[t affordable.   Also every regular supermarket I've ever been in accepts food stamps.    Some were in poor neighborhoods, some in richer.   I live in the southwest in a neighborhood with a huge lower income Mexican population.   There are several large grocery stores which cater to this group. I've been in many and in each there have been  good selections of food.    Tons of fruits,, vegetable, grains you name it.   The good food is out there.   Its all about what people want to eat, not what they should.   As long as people are accepted by their peers and as long as they don't see themselves as overweight they'll remain that way.     Maybe more public service anouncements or effective ads or more infomation taught in schools health class's.       

I agree there are segments that can't get to these grocery stores and have to go to the corner stores where there isn't any fresh stuff at all.   but this doesn't account for all the overwight Americans.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook