Switch to Forum Live View It's not just good with a doughnut
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 12:52AM #1
solfeggio

New Research has shown that coffee drinking is beneficial for many reasons.  For one thing, according to research results published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the drinking of it can help extend your life.

healthland.time.com/2012/05/17/coffee-dr...

www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-05-16/coffee...

For another, it can help reduce the risk of prostate cancer.

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/11...

And, coffee drinkers have a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

care.diabetesjournals.org/content/29/2/3...

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/12...

It can even help prevent breast and endometrial cancer.

www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20111121/coffe...

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/11...

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/11...

And, it can help prevent esophageal cancer.

www.thedoctorschannel.com/view/coffee-ma...  

But wait, there's more.  It improves response to hepititus C treatment.

www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/2011/...  

Who'd have thought that a few little cups of joe could have so many benefits?  

Time for a cuppa. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 9:30AM #2
arielg

Coffee is a stimulant.   A stimulant may be beneficial at a certain time and place. The organism  may profit from a jolt. 

But when if it becomes a routine, the body starts depending on it,  it becomes  habit and habits become addictions. 

An  addiction means the organism  is unable to  function unless it has the stimulant.  That is not good.

A am very weary of studies that isolate  a particular element and tries to find connections to all kinds of things that may be the result of  the combination of a lot of factors.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 9:57PM #3
solfeggio

All true, arielg, which is why I've never drunk coffee myself and avoid caffeine in any form.  I've never wanted to be a slave to a stimulant of any sort.

And, it is true that the researchers themselves in these studies have admitted that, because coffee contains so many different elements, they cannot say for sure which of them are the beneficial ones.

However, coffee is a popular drink for many people, and if you had to choose something to which you would be addicted, coffee would be a far better choice than alcohol or some drug.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 3:20PM #4
rangerken

I am a total coffee addict! I even figured out how to set up a coffee maker in my M114A1 armored reconnaisance vehicle in the winter of 1964-65 in Gerrmany...which was quite a feat for a new sergeant (and yeah, I am bragging). When my company commander found out he immediately had me wire one up in his M113!... LOL. My son shares my addiction. Mt wife and daughter do not...gender thing in my family perhaps?

Oh... donuts are acceptable...LOL Laughing

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 28, 2012 - 5:52PM #5
teilhard

I've been enjoying

strong black Coffee

for DECADES ... several Cups a Day ... (with Caffeine, which gives me additional Benefit as a Self-Medication to intercept Migraine) ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 12:46AM #6
christine3

I got hooked on coffee psychologically when I had a standing D in a biology course going into the final.  Problems in life just didn't mesh with school.  Was having problems find a job, a place to live, trying to go to school.  That was hard.   About 4 days before the final I decided to get my grade up but would have to study day and night.  What to do?  I thought I'd try some coffee.  Well that did it...decaffeinated even...but enough of a boost to keep me awake.  I did practically stay up day and night, only 1/2 hour snoozes, then back at the book, memorizing page after page.  I pulled off such a high A, that when averaged in, my grade at semester end was an A minus for the course.  After that I drank coffee regularly.  Lately I've been up to 3 cups a day, but just cut down to 1 cup last week.  No ill effects from coming off coffee.  I think I'll stay at one cup a day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 8:42AM #7
LeahOne

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask for a prayer circle for self and husband, who are now coping with the aftermath of finals and graduation (and clearing out the apartment!) of the son.  Said son is now attempting to decaffienate from diet Pepsi (ugh!)......

I drink tea, not coffee.  There are a great many complex organic compounds in tea as well, many of which may be beneficial in different ways.  As there also are in wine, particularly red wines.

"Moderation in all things" is apparently as good a guideline as it was when M. Aurelius first suggested it.

But then the son didn't want 'moderate' grades:  he was gunning for a 4.0 cum.  Didn't make it, but came as close as possible (one 'B' in one minor course)....

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 29, 2012 - 9:33AM #8
vansdad

May 20, 2012 -- 9:30AM, arielg wrote:

Coffee is a stimulant.   A stimulant may be beneficial at a certain time and place. The organism  may profit from a jolt. 

But when if it becomes a routine, the body starts depending on it,  it becomes  habit and habits become addictions. 

An  addiction means the organism  is unable to  function unless it has the stimulant.  That is not good.

A am very weary of studies that isolate  a particular element and tries to find connections to all kinds of things that may be the result of  the combination of a lot of factors.

As they say everything in moderation.  But I agree you make a good point about a study that does show so much from a cup of coffee. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook