Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Buying Organic = Jerk?
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 5:43AM #11
karbie

Several years ago there was a co-op that carried organic everything, but it eventually devolved into people paying extra not to fulfill the part about helping out in the store. The one truly local grocery company had them merge rather than go under. The stores were just beginning to get into organic products, so the store had experts to help them set up the departments and the co-op members could go to Acme and get the produce and brands they loved.

My grandparents had a whole section of the backyard that had black raspberry bushes, and at least part of what we picked each morning made it into the house and got washed before we ate them. Grandma took old window sheers and draped them over the bushes so the birds wouldn't eat them all.

You appreciate the work it takes to turn fruit into jelly, jam, or a fruit butter once you've done the whole deal from picking the fruit.

Who knows? Maybe going back to organics is a developmental stage. My former picky eater is now a foodie. When we were going to a pitch-in with a group that had vegetarians in it, I brought just plain cheese pizza. When the teenagers saw Pizza Hut boxes in my hands, I had the door opened for me and they told my son that I was a Goddess for bringing it. I timed it--both pizzas were finished off in 5 minutes.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2012 - 6:41PM #12
Erey

Let's face it, people who define themselves through thier food choices do have a reputation of being jerks.  They are not known for being laid back and easy going. 

Whatever, I say organic food does not make you a jerk but if you buy organic food you might be so sanctimonious and judgemental people can't stand you.  Reminds me of the South Park episode about the Smug Alert with the hybrid cars.   there are several things I tend to buy as organic but I am far, far from fully organic.  Nor do I really see the need to be. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 6:34PM #13
mytmouse57

I would hug trees -- but there's that whole issue with splinters and sap. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook