Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Buying Organic = Jerk?
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 1:31PM #1
Ironhold
link

There's now evidence to suggest that people who prefer organic foods to normal foods have a greater tendency towards rude behavior; the hypothesis is that they feel just self-righteous enough by going organic that they believe themselves morally superior.

I wonder if it isn't just repressed anger at themselves for paying so much.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 2:12PM #2
Ebon

Rather limited study. Yes, there are enough organic snobs to be noticeable but there are also plenty who aren't. I try to buy organic (the price difference seems to be much lower here).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 3:07PM #3
DotNotInOz

Director of the study Eskine quoted in linked article:

"We found that the organic people judged much harder compared to the control or comfort food groups," says Eskine. "On a scale of 1 to 7, the organic people were like 5.5 while the controls were about a 5 and the comfort food people were like a 4.89."

5.5 compared with about 5 and 4.89 is "much harder"?

This guy needs to get a real job if he thinks that's a significant difference in a study of only 60 people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 5:50PM #4
IreneAdler

May 19, 2012 -- 3:07PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Director of the study Eskine quoted in linked article:

"We found that the organic people judged much harder compared to the control or comfort food groups," says Eskine. "On a scale of 1 to 7, the organic people were like 5.5 while the controls were about a 5 and the comfort food people were like a 4.89."

5.5 compared with about 5 and 4.89 is "much harder"?

This guy needs to get a real job if he thinks that's a significant difference in a study of only 60 people.

True, but he got himself published.  Wink

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 6:15PM #5
Ken

You can't do a valid study with only sixty people. And I fail to see why this study had to be done at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 11:22PM #6
DotNotInOz

Why do the study? Easy. To confirm what "we all know"--that those who eat organic foods are treehugging nutjobs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 19, 2012 - 11:52PM #7
Ebon

May 19, 2012 -- 11:22PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Why do the study? Easy. To confirm what "we all know"--that those who eat organic foods are treehugging nutjobs.

I resent that remark. I might be a nutcase but I never hug trees.

Not since the restraining order anyway.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 12:27PM #8
karbie

The "study" was done so the author could be paid for it. I don't think a 60 person sampling can determine anything,and it sounds like the study was tailored to fit pre-drawn conclusions.

My definition of "natural" is "From this planet", and I'm counting on the preservatives in my food to keep me from spoiling too early. We are fortunate enough to have a shop that is still like the old produce  markets I remember--concrete floors, bins of apples, fruit and vegetables from mostly a tri-state area, and large Amish settlements. I'll pay more for free-range chicken because it is worth it.

The attitude is "I'm smarter and better informed than you are." My own is "If you can afford to pay extra for something that won't last as long, not a problem."

I used to do a lot of canning--my back has ruled that out these days--but we've done the whole pick-your-own vegetables, fruit. etc. Our son loved going to pick apples at the orchard and he grew up with food that wasn't junk.

I tried carob, but when you want chocolate it just doesn't fit the bill.

This makes me think of the "ground-breaking" study from the 60's that proved that there was actually pain involved in childbirth. Some fools got a grant and put electrodes on the heads of women who were in labor and seemed really shocked it could be scientifically proved.

The only plus side to this "study" is that it wasn't paid for by a government grant.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 11:28PM #9
MMarcoe

May 19, 2012 -- 11:22PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Maybe they are. Heck, I harvest and eat weeds, and I'm a treehugger myself.

Do you hold that against organic food?

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 20, 2012 - 11:30PM #10
MMarcoe

People on the vanguard of change are often condescending to those who haven't converted yet. It's sad.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook