Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Waddling down the aisle
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 7:40PM #1
solfeggio

The world's fattest woman (ugh), Susan Eman, who weighs 800 lbs, is going to get married to a man she met online.

www.thedaily.com/page/2012/05/09/050912-...

And, she is being fitted for the world's largest wedding dress.

news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8464577/us-wom...

Is this supposed to be a funny story?  This woman seems to think her size is a big joke.  Are there so many obese people in America nowadays that the revolting spectacle of a bloated bride is no big deal anymore?

I find morbidly obese people to be disgusting and I cannot empathise with somebody who has so little self-control when it comes to eating, or shuns any sort of exercise like the plague, that s/he becomes a human mountain of flesh.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 7:51PM #2
IreneAdler

Not all morbidly obese got that way from a lack of self-control or lack of exercise. My sister's bi-polar meds (the ones that didn't cause allergic reaction) caused her to gain close to 200 lbs. She has a difficult choice- control the bi-polar symptoms or control the weight. Can't do both. Be glad this isn't your cross to bear.

Irene.

Moderated by rangerken on May 09, 2012 - 09:45PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 8:07PM #3
farragut

Irene, I really don't want to sound nasty or disrespectful, but I've got to ask, if one can gain weight without eating, should not others of us be able to maintain weight without eating? We could put all the groceries and feedlots out of business.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 8:07PM #4
solfeggio

Just being honest, Irene.  Would you prefer that I lie and say that I think an 800-lb woman is beautiful?

Because I think that the vast majority of people who become obese got that way because of a lack of self-control.  There is too much cheap fast food available to everybody, and too many people drive everywhere.

Your sister is one person with a problem, but she is atypical.  And I would guess that she would do anything she could to lose the weight, including stomach stapling.

The vast majority of morbidly obese people got that way because they don't know anything about nutrition and consequently eat too many of the wrong foods, and they don't get enough exercise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 8:13PM #5
IreneAdler

May 9, 2012 -- 8:07PM, farragut wrote:

Irene, I really don't want to sound nasty or disrespectful, but I've got to ask, if one can gain weight without eating, should not others of us be able to maintain weight without eating? We could put all the groceries and feedlots out of business.

I don't think I get your point. 

Are you suggesting that folks just stop consuming food? Or are you suggesting that everyone is capable of self-control in regards to food intake?

In my sister's case, I know part of the weight is not fat - but retained fluids.  Some is from extra calories- the meds seems to mess with satiety sensation.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 8:24PM #6
IreneAdler

May 9, 2012 -- 8:07PM, solfeggio wrote:

Just being honest, Irene.  Would you prefer that I lie and say that I think an 800-lb woman is beautiful?

Because I think that the vast majority of people who become obese got that way because of a lack of self-control.  There is too much cheap fast food available to everybody, and too many people drive everywhere.

Your sister is one person with a problem, but she is atypical.  And I would guess that she would do anything she could to lose the weight, including stomach stapling.

The vast majority of morbidly obese people got that way because they don't know anything about nutrition and consequently eat too many of the wrong foods, and they don't get enough exercise.

Honest? Should have posted something else.  This was just an opportunity to ridicule someone for how they look.

There is quite the emotional aspect to morbid obesity.  Having been morbidly obese myself, there are issues I bettle every day.  Easy to be dismissive of this -isn't it?

(ya know, when I first embarked on an exercise program - walking- I got heckled and ridiculed mercilessly. Why should one continue if met with such ugliness?)

I gather that any drastic change in my sister's weight would throw off the levels of meds that control her bi-polar condition.  Getting them just right is an arduous exercise. So stomach stapling isn't a good idea here.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 9:41PM #7
REteach

This woman wants to set the world record as fattest woman.  How is this different from seeing how much alcohol you can drink or how much cocaine you can snort?  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 09, 2012 - 9:54PM #8
mountain_man

May 9, 2012 -- 7:40PM, solfeggio wrote:

...I find morbidly obese people to be disgusting and I cannot empathise with somebody who has so little self-control when it comes to eating....      

I find people that lack empathy to be disgusting.

Moderated by Merope on May 10, 2012 - 01:40AM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 1:22AM #9
solfeggio

So, then, the growing obesity problem in America is just one of those things? 

What the hell, let people have their enormous meals and then waddle into their cars instead of walking somewhere.  Who cares if being overweight is bad for your health?  Who cares that one third of all Americans today are overweight, and that another third are obese?

That five-minute McDonald's or KFC meal, or that second helping of greasy barbecue is worth a heart attack, right?  The pleasures of stuffing your mouth trump everything else. 

Obesity has to do with culture.  Perhaps most of the naysayers who have posted so far are not old enough to remember a time when most people were not so fat.  When I was a kid, it was very unusual to see a fat person, let alone an obese person.   And I put the blame for everybody porking out squarely in the changing culture.

For one thing, people are getting lazier.  More people follow a sedentary lifestyle.  Many years ago, people did a lot more walking.  We don't have school buses here, and fewer people owned cars, so kids walked to and from school, and people walked to the train or bus to get to work.  I have always walked to the shops myself.

For another thing, the fast food culture seems to have taken over the industrialised world.  People don't care that the stuff is full of empty calories, is mostly just fat and salt, or that it's bad for anybody's health.  They just don't want to have to go and cook something at home.

If you look at movies made in the 1950s and into the 1960s, you don't see fat people in crowd scenes.  Nowadays, though, it's almost a given that half the people are going to be not just fat, but really overweight.  One third of the adult population of America is overweight, and another third is considered to be obese.

But, hey, not to worry.  Just close your eyes and pretend that there's nothing wrong with being hugely fat.  And don't even try to keep your weight down.  Because everybody's fat, so where's the problem?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 1:33AM #10
solfeggio

Irene -

You say that when you decided to exercise, people made fun of you?  Do you mean that you went out walking and people pointed and laughed and made rude remarks?

Or, did you exercise in a gym?  People go to gyms all the time.  I can't see why you would have been made an object of fun for that.

Sorry, but I just don't get it.  Unless, of course, Americans have so gotten out of the habit of exercising or walking that they find a jogger or person out for a walk to be a curiosity.

As somebody who has always worried about gaining weight, I have been a walker all my life, and I walk to our local mall every day, and I can honestly say that nobody has ever laughed at me or poked fun or made any sort of insulting comment.  Far from it.  When I pass people, we smile at each other and wish each other a good day or make a comment about the weather.

Anyway, what do you care if idiots heckle you when you're out walking or exercising?  It's your health that's at stake, and if they want to make fools of themselves for laughing at somebody doing what nature intended humans to do, then the hell with them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook