Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Waddling down the aisle
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 2:53PM #41
karbie

When I was a teenager, I wasn't exactly bulemic--but if I ate things that provoked what I found out years later was a gall bladder attack, it was good for 3-5 pounds because I was reduced to eating baby food for a week or so. Even the tests run about a week before it was finally removed in my mid 30's didn't show anything. Once it was out, the surgeon told me it showed at least 25 years worth of scarring. It just had the good side to the camera.

Right now I think one of the best things we have going to help at least the kids is the wii games where people are getting up and dancing and moving. We used to insist on a mix of outdoor activity with the computer and the games. Now he does computer programming for a living.

Don't get me wrong--I know that there are people who would love to be in my shape simmply because I still have the use of everything. The most disciplined person in my family was my beloved Grandma, who was still in her own home when she turned 100. She died a few months later, having gone from barely a size 8 to a size 18 when we buried her. Congestive heart failure; I remember her telling a young doctor that she was perfectly aware of what was happening to her and not to judge her mind by her body.

I wish that a fraction of the money that the medical lobbyists--be it the pharmaceutical industries or the mega-insurance companies use to preserve the horrifically flawed system in the US was used for actually helping people instead of bilking them. Which will probably happen when either these cretins develop some empathy themselves or enough of them are charged with racketeering for price-fixing. (I can dream, can't I? the last time I was hospitalized our insurance told me that they agreed with my being in the hospital. They just didn't agree that I needed a bed or meals the last few days. Thank God they charged the hospital for their "mistake" instead of us!)

Some men like big women. As Travis Tritt told his fiancee and now wife, "Meat is for men. Bones are for dogs."

We've done grazing for years; had to because my son's digestive tract couldn't handle things any other way. My picky eater grew up to be a foodie. When his weight got down to 68 pounds as a 6th grader things were pretty frantic around here and the kitchen was open 24/7 if it meant getting anything in him at all. Grilled cheese at 4 AM? Got it. Ramen noodles after a breathing treatment? Fine. Good thing I started home schooling that year, even if we did a lesson in the wee hours some days.

He still ended up with a tutor in high school for core subjects due to his health. Now he's married, happy, working at a job he loves with people he likes. He's not over weight--he's only been chubby two periods of his life. When I was breast-feeding and when he was on the anti-depressant that made him gain 15 pounds a month. He worked to get that 45 pounds off. He hated having a 36 inch waist.

My heart goes out to you with your son--we had a rough patch during my son's teen years. It's funny--he and his wife are both O/C, but they keep each other on an even keel because they can help each other from getting too far into it. She's been the best thing that ever happened to him; her parents think he's the best thing that ever happened to her. I love her dearly.

I do think that there should be more fashion choices available to anyone overweight--stretch pants in neon colors aren't anyone's friend from the back. Having said that, I still think if I get a swimsuit in a horrible enough print no one will judge my figure because it will make them turn away too quickly. Aversion therapy. Maybe that's the reason for the neon stretch polyester as well.

If it upsets you that much, don't look at them. They will still get enough stares and sneers.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 4:28PM #42
solfeggio

Mouse and karbie -

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our Aspergers guy.  I appreciate your concern.

I read somewhere that people who never have kids live longer, and I think there may be some truth to that, because once we have kids, we never stop worrying, never stop being concerned about them, and never stop looking for ways to make their lives better.  And the worrying probably takes its toll on our health.  Because loving another human being almost more than your own life can do that to us.

Even if the kid turns our fine and grows up to get married and have a lovely family of her own, as our other child, our daughter did, you still keep on worrying that something will happen.

So, I can readily empathise with both of you and your kids' issues.  You have to have been there, so to speak, to understand what somebody is going through.

But, anyway, I did want to address the 'morbidly-obese-are-disgusting' comment I made at the start of this thread.  I should have qualified that to mean that I found the 800-lb woman in the photograph disgusting. 

Once I thought about it, I realised that I do not find my obese friend disgusting, so what was I on about?  I do know that I was angry the day I started the thread, although I can't remember why now, and I was angrily pounding the keyboard for some reason.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 13, 2012 - 5:35PM #43
karbie

While I'm not sure how much help this might be, I found this item when I was going through Amazon. I got a kindle and so I spend a lot of time browsing and reading, and I wanted to pass along the information. Even without a kindle it can be downloaded and read on computer.

The Complete Parenting Asperger's Series (Parenting Asperger's) by Dave Angel

This is a discounted compilation of all 5 books in the series, 464 pages and it costs $.99.

I figured that if it only contained one or two tips it would be well worth it.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 14, 2012 - 6:43PM #44
solfeggio

karbie -

Thank you for the info, which is much appreciated. 

Now that Aspergers has become mainline, so to speak, we are finding more and more information about it.  In earlier years, when our son was much younger, there was no such thing as Aspergers, and nobody could figure out what was wrong with him.  So, all the material that is currently being published on this condition is very useful to us.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 2:29AM #45
Yavanna

May 9, 2012 -- 7:40PM, solfeggio wrote:

The world's fattest woman (ugh), Susan Eman, who weighs 800 lbs, is going to get married to a man she met online.

www.thedaily.com/page/2012/05/09/050912-...

And, she is being fitted for the world's largest wedding dress.

news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8464577/us-wom...

Is this supposed to be a funny story?  This woman seems to think her size is a big joke.  Are there so many obese people in America nowadays that the revolting spectacle of a bloated bride is no big deal anymore?

I find morbidly obese people to be disgusting and I cannot empathise with somebody who has so little self-control when it comes to eating, or shuns any sort of exercise like the plague, that s/he becomes a human mountain of flesh.  

Personally I just think you like to target any news story in the United States and mock the country for it. Do you think grossly obese people don't exist in other countries?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 7:13PM #46
solfeggio

Oh, yeah: The old complaint that anybody who dares to criticise the Yanks must be anti-American.  So, it must naturally follow that whatever the person says is wrong.

Such nonsense.

I started the thread because a woman who weighs 800 lbs said she was proud of it and hoped to make a world record for being the fattest woman on earth (and also the stupidest, I would say), and it happened that this woman was an American.

End of story.

As a matter of fact, there are obese people all over, and as it happens, obesity is also on the rise here in NZ.  In 1977 9% of men and 11% of women were obese, but now those figures have jumped to 27% of all men and women.

In America, ivarious studies have shown about 35% of adults who are obese.  In the UK, it's about 26%. 

The statistics vary, but Japan has the lowest obesity rate:

www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-healt...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 9:27PM #47
jane2

May 16, 2012 -- 2:29AM, Yavanna wrote:

May 9, 2012 -- 7:40PM, solfeggio wrote:

The world's fattest woman (ugh), Susan Eman, who weighs 800 lbs, is going to get married to a man she met online.

www.thedaily.com/page/2012/05/09/050912-...

And, she is being fitted for the world's largest wedding dress.

news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8464577/us-wom...

Is this supposed to be a funny story?  This woman seems to think her size is a big joke.  Are there so many obese people in America nowadays that the revolting spectacle of a bloated bride is no big deal anymore?

I find morbidly obese people to be disgusting and I cannot empathise with somebody who has so little self-control when it comes to eating, or shuns any sort of exercise like the plague, that s/he becomes a human mountain of flesh.  

Personally I just think you like to target any news story in the United States and mock the country for it. Do you think grossly obese people don't exist in other countries?

Yavanna

Just a short note to say I agree with your post.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 12:00AM #48
Yavanna

May 16, 2012 -- 7:13PM, solfeggio wrote:

Oh, yeah: The old complaint that anybody who dares to criticise the Yanks must be anti-American.  So, it must naturally follow that whatever the person says is wrong.

Such nonsense.

I started the thread because a woman who weighs 800 lbs said she was proud of it and hoped to make a world record for being the fattest woman on earth (and also the stupidest, I would say), and it happened that this woman was an American.

End of story.

That would be fine except it contradicts your initial post.

May 16, 2012 -- 7:13PM, solfeggio wrote:

Yep. Us Americans are just so fat that we don't make a big deal about it. We should be like the rest of the world and make it a point to laugh while we point our fingers over the "spectacle".

The fact of the matter is that the obesity "epidemic" is exagerated as well. The people that are put into the "obese" category are often barely overweight (And anyone of any intelligence knows the BMI is worthless). But of course if you run around with a camera crew to film people's middle sections at the mall... that's all the proof you need.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 1:28AM #49
solfeggio

...And you have peer-reviewed studies supporting your claims?  If so, why didn't you post links?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 17, 2012 - 1:03PM #50
Yavanna

May 17, 2012 -- 1:28AM, solfeggio wrote:

...And you have peer-reviewed studies supporting your claims?  If so, why didn't you post links?

Post hard evidence that high cholesterol causes heart disease. It doesn't exist.

Diabetes on the other hand, is finally being linked to the condition.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5