Switch to Forum Live View 6 year old girl throws tantrum at school and is arrested and handcuffed
3 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2012 - 7:57AM #1
jesusfreakgal

A six year old girl threw a tantrum at school where she threw toys and books. Where she was arrested, it is the policy that all persons arrested, regardless of age must be handcuffed. Do you think they went overboard?

I think it is. If for some (ridiculous) reason a 2 year old threw a tantrum at daycare where they were throwing toys and books at the heads of other children, putting that child in handcuffs could make them freak right out, which could only make the situation worse, not better. Even for this child, it could have been the situation where they started frantically screaming 'mommy, mommy please help me' as though someone were hurting them (which, in that childs mind could be the case). Do you believe their should be an age limit for handcuffing someone who gets arrested? Do you think their should be an age limit for persons who even get arrested?
The age limit for getting arrested to a degrfee is more complicated. You can have kkids that young (6 years old) who understand enough that something against the law they did was wrong. If I brought a steak knife to school and stabbed someone when I was 6 or 7, and I know that it was wrong to do so bit did it anyway, yes I should be arrested and so forth.  Even if they thought the child was a danger to other students, a better idea would have been to remove the child from the situation. What  on earth would they charge this girl with anyway? I heard on the radio that its possible that she might be charged with assult. But if so, and other childten have done this, even if uncommonly at home, shouldn't they also be charged with assult? If not, then it is not right in this case. I get there is the concert for the safty of other students, but I doubt the point of her tantrum was to actually hurt her classmates. Here is a link to an article:  www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57415156...

Unpon reading part of the article, I learned that aparently this child had knocked over a shelf that injured the principal, as well as when the police tried to calm her down, she resisted. Also, she is suspended until august. Wonder if she ever threw that bad of a tantrum at home?  

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2012 - 12:18PM #2
klm

handcuffing a 6 year old is going a bit overboard, in my opinion.    What could they have done other wise?   Im not sure maybe put her in a room by herself until her parents come.    I don't know whether she had issues before, has mental health problems, or is just plain spoiled.   But you can't get me to believe a school with professionals  trained in child issues ( teaching counseling etc.) couldn't come up with a plan that didn't include calling the police! 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook