Switch to Forum Live View It's time for Apple Matzoh Kugel!!!!
2 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 1:13AM #1
LeahOne
Some poor soul asked me for this recipe, probably years ago....  I don't even remember who, but I dimly recall being asked for it. 

Mom's Passover Apple Kugel    9x12 ish pan    350  for  ~ 45 minutes.

4 TART 'Pie Apples'                  We use Granny Smiths.  Peel and GRATE coarsly - about 3 cups

6 Eggs                                    Large ones:  you CAN use 'egg beaters' and it'll work

1/2 Cup White Sugar                Or LESS

1/2 tsp Salt                              Yes, really.

1/2 tsp vanilla                          Why not? 

1/2 tsp cinnamon IN 11/2 Tbsp white sugar      This goes on top

1/4 cup corn/canola oil              NOT!  olive oil.  This goes on top, too.

Zest of 1/2 citrus fruit, finely grated     Lemon or Orange, usually.

And of course, the matzoh - 3 full sheets, regular and unsalted.    

That's the basic shopping list.   When I use orange zest, I like to add 1/2 cup 'craisins' - if you do this, cut the sugar back to 1/4 cup.      Or you can use 1/2 cup raisins, or even currants.

1/2 cup chopped Walnuts or Almonds may also be added - or both. 

Having peeled and grated the apples, gently squeeze excess juice from them - you will get about 3/4 cup - which you are not going to use. Drink or pitch.

Combine the 1/4 or 1/2 cup sugar and the salt, add vanilla and any 'zest', and add the eggs, beating well.  

Get a strainer or colander.  Break up the matzohs into about 1" squares - that's an area estimate, not a geometric perfection!    Heat water until boiling and pour over matzoh in colander, stirring it about a bit - don't rush the water out.  The goal here is to get the matzoh to soften up a bit - you don't want any excess liquid dripping off it.    If you take a few bits of matzoh and 'experiment', you can figure it out - it gets 'puffy' looking but isn't completely limp.   (If you know how to make 'fried matzoh', you know what the desired consistency is, yes)

It isn't all that hard, I'm just trying to describe what I can't demonstrate.  The 'goal' here is small pieces of matzoh which will soak up the egg mixture and still retain some vague 'structural integrity' - similar to french toast.         

OK, now all you do is mix the egg mixture with the matzoh and add the apples and whatever 'goodies' you wanted.   Pour it into a greased 'flat' pan - I use a large Corningware square.  Take the cinnamon and sugar mix, and sprinkle that all over the top of the raw kugel.  And then take your 1/4 cup of oil and dribble that all over the top of the kugel, too.

I know, that sounds hideous.  But it works, and gives the kugel a lovely brown glaze.

After it cools down, you want to refrigerate it and eat it cold - like potato salad and chopped liver, the 'cooler time' allows flavors to get properly friendly : ))       

PS:  I just did one where I squeezed the heck out of the shredded apples, added about 2/3 cup of very pulpy OJ and the zest of 1/2 orange and cut the sugar to 1/4 cup.  Also left the matzoh a bit on the dry side, and added just some walnuts.  No cinnamon in the sugar glaze (maybe a whiff of nutmeg or such next time?)  Even still warm, it was goooood!      
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook