Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Alcohol and chocolate are good for you
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 5:48PM #1
solfeggio

A new Harvard study has shown that moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages can be beneficial for long-term survival after a heart attack. 

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57405790...

What's a moderate amount of alcohol?  Well, men who had two drinks a day would be classified as moderate drinkers, with a drink being a can or bottle of beer, four ounces of wine, or a shot of liquor.  In fact, moderate drinkers are less likely to die from any cause, and 42% less likely to die from heart disease than non-drinkers.

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/2012032...

And what about women?  According to the National Stroke Association, women who drank low to moderate amounts of alcohol had a lower stroke risk than women who never drank.  And, for women, a moderate amount would be a glass of wine or a can of beer.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57394459...

And then there's chocolate.  A recent study in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that the more chocolate a person ate, the smaller his or her BMI.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57405100...

And another earlier study had shown that chocolate consumption can reduce stroke risk in women.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20118507...      

my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/...  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:19PM #2
mytmouse57

I don't drink for religious reasons. And even when I did drink, back in college, I was never much good at it... LOL.

I do try to eat dark chocolate on a regular basis. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:20PM #3
Esdraelon

Mar 28, 2012 -- 5:48PM, solfeggio wrote:

A new Harvard study has shown that moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages can be beneficial for long-term survival after a heart attack. 

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57405790...

What's a moderate amount of alcohol?  Well, men who had two drinks a day would be classified as moderate drinkers, with a drink being a can or bottle of beer, four ounces of wine, or a shot of liquor.  In fact, moderate drinkers are less likely to die from any cause, and 42% less likely to die from heart disease than non-drinkers.

www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/2012032...

And what about women?  According to the National Stroke Association, women who drank low to moderate amounts of alcohol had a lower stroke risk than women who never drank.  And, for women, a moderate amount would be a glass of wine or a can of beer.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57394459...

And then there's chocolate.  A recent study in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that the more chocolate a person ate, the smaller his or her BMI.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57405100...

And another earlier study had shown that chocolate consumption can reduce stroke risk in women.

www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20118507...      

my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/...  

It's not the alcohol, nor the fermentation, it is what is IN the grapes. The same effects can be had through other means without the alcohol.Grape juice and pomegranate juice are very potent antioxidants and 8 oz of pomegranate juice has more potassium that a banana, which regulates the hearts operation.

I eat dark chocolate all the time, all this stuff coming out or thye medical community today I have know and utilized for years and years and years.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:35PM #4
teilhard

I am a long-Time Devotee of both Red Wine and Dark Chocolate ... both in Moderation ...

So I expect that when I do eventually die (I suppose, from NOTHING !!!), at Autopsy, they will have to beat my Liver to death with a Stick ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:55PM #5
mountain_man

Mar 28, 2012 -- 5:48PM, solfeggio wrote:

A new Harvard study has shown that moderate amounts of alcoholic beverages can be beneficial for long-term survival after a heart attack. ....

Both contain sugars.

MODERATE amounts of sugar, alcohol, meat, and chocolate, can be a part of a healthy diet.

Moderated by Merope on Mar 30, 2012 - 09:11PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 6:58PM #6
mountain_man

Mar 28, 2012 -- 6:20PM, Esdraelon wrote:

It's not the alcohol, nor the fermentation, it is what is IN the grapes.

That's not correct. Note the study says "alcoholic beverage." It does not specify that it has to contain grapes.

The same effects can be had through other means without the alcohol.

No, you cannot. You'll get different effects, good ones, from brightly colored fruits and vegetables.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 7:09PM #7
loveontheair

Hello,

I too believe in *moderation and I have said this many times in the past. I'm a firm believer in *moderation, except for water. I drink 3 lts a day. I like red Bordeaux from France and Belgium beer. I eat a Mediterranean diet. I love Dark Chocolate and Belgium makes the best. When and where I can, I buy *organic and drink a lot of juice that I juice. Never alcohol and chocolate together. No dairy--I'm lactose intolerant.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 7:22PM #8
IreneAdler

Well you know, the oldest living person ever, Jeanne Calment, attributed her longevity to port wine and chocolate (a kilogram per week).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

I think it would be good to emulate her example.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 7:49PM #9
arielg

Human organisms are the result of a lot of things.  Food, emotions, genes, environment, particular circumstances, etc. 

Studies that single out  particular elements and extrapolate sweeping conclusiopns are silly.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:21PM #10
mountain_man

Mar 28, 2012 -- 7:49PM, arielg wrote:

Human organisms are the result of a lot of things.  Food, emotions, genes, environment, particular circumstances, etc. 

Studies that single out  particular elements and extrapolate sweeping conclusiopns are silly.

That's right and that's what wrong with all those so called "studies" (actually just something someone made up and claims to be a study).  Their sweeping conclusions are silly.

Moderated by Merope on Mar 30, 2012 - 09:12PM

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook