Post Reply
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:36PM #1
solfeggio
Posts: 9,079
Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants:

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALe...

Why are they doing this?  Because of public concern, says the company's director of food safety.

But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.

www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-...

On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'      

The U.S. Dept of Agriculture is going to begin offering schools alternatives to pink slime, and parents are asking school districts to simply stop serving the stuff now.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/education/sch...

Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?       
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:43PM #2
MysticWanderer
Posts: 1,328

Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:36PM, solfeggio wrote:

Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants:

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALe...

Why are they doing this?  Because of public concern, says the company's director of food safety.

But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.

www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-...

On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'      

The U.S. Dept of Agriculture is going to begin offering schools alternatives to pink slime, and parents are asking school districts to simply stop serving the stuff now.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/education/sch...

Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?       




The lean beef product is NOT ammonia based but contains a small amount of ammonium hydroxide from its treatment with ammonia to prevent the growth of pathogenic bacteria.  Nor is the product a filler since it is made from beef and has nutritional equivalency to beef.  Try being accurate. 


The ptoduct is being removed because of public hysteria engineered by a chef who does not like the product.  As far as its "grossness" at certain points in its production, do not look into sausages then.

"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 5:50PM #3
mountain_man
Posts: 39,067

Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:36PM, solfeggio wrote:

Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants...


There is no such thing as "pink slime." It's just a name made up from an anti-beef propagandist. This is nothing but hysteria.


But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.


No, the suspensions are not warranted. They are the result of a dishonest smear campaign.


On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'


So what? That's just another emotional appeal. I'll make my food decisions on the facts, not emotions.


Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?


It's a dishonest smear campaign that made one misguided person famous for his 15 minutes. No one has been able to show in any way that lean beef trimmings treated with minute amounts of ammonia is in any way harmful.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 8:30PM #4
REteach
Posts: 14,429

I think it is odd too. It is protein without the fat. What I hear is a lot of wailing that we aren't getting the fat and germs included.  Strange.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 9:14PM #5
Esdraelon
Posts: 5,236

Mar 26, 2012 -- 8:30PM, REteach wrote:


I think it is odd too. It is protein without the fat. What I hear is a lot of wailing that we aren't getting the fat and germs included.  Strange.  




Well, Chow Down! Get yer fat and germs!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 9:16PM #6
Esdraelon
Posts: 5,236

Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:50PM, mountain_man wrote:


Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:36PM, solfeggio wrote:

Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants...


There is no such thing as "pink slime." It's just a name made up from an anti-beef propagandist. This is nothing but hysteria.


But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.


No, the suspensions are not warranted. They are the result of a dishonest smear campaign.


On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'


So what? That's just another emotional appeal. I'll make my food decisions on the facts, not emotions.


Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?


It's a dishonest smear campaign that made one misguided person famous for his 15 minutes. No one has been able to show in any way that lean beef trimmings treated with minute amounts of ammonia is in any way harmful.




OK, let's assume that what you say is true, have you ever actually been inside the plants? If not, it's not the 'facts' that you make your decisions upon, it's more like "What I don't know won't hurt me."

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 9:18PM #7
loveontheair
Posts: 4,057

Hello,


It's why people go *organic with their produce. It's called *choice. If you want to go scientific knock your socks off.


love

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 27, 2012 - 02:25AM
Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 10:10PM #8
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:43PM, MysticWanderer wrote:


Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:36PM, solfeggio wrote:

Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants:

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALe...

Why are they doing this?  Because of public concern, says the company's director of food safety.

But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.

www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-...

On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'      

The U.S. Dept of Agriculture is going to begin offering schools alternatives to pink slime, and parents are asking school districts to simply stop serving the stuff now.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/education/sch...

Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?       




The lean beef product is NOT ammonia based but contains a small amount of ammonium hydroxide from its treatment with ammonia to prevent the growth of pathogenic bacteria.  Nor is the product a filler since it is made from beef and has nutritional equivalency to beef.  Try being accurate. 


The ptoduct is being removed because of public hysteria engineered by a chef who does not like the product.  As far as its "grossness" at certain points in its production, do not look into sausages then.





Sausages are deliciously disgusting.Tongue OutTongue Out

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 10:44PM #9
Eliascomes
Posts: 861

Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:36PM, solfeggio wrote:

Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants:

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALe...

Why are they doing this?  Because of public concern, says the company's director of food safety.

But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.

www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-...

On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'      

The U.S. Dept of Agriculture is going to begin offering schools alternatives to pink slime, and parents are asking school districts to simply stop serving the stuff now.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/education/sch...

Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?       



 They should at least let people know what going into their mouth; Don't be having people guessing. They said that Clone chicken doesn't have to be label. But if I'm on an organic or Kosher diet, I'll like to know.


www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/con...


www.examiner.com/nutrition-in-sacramento...


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2012 - 11:20PM #10
Esdraelon
Posts: 5,236

Mar 26, 2012 -- 10:44PM, Eliascomes wrote:


Mar 26, 2012 -- 5:36PM, solfeggio wrote:

Beef Products Inc., a company that makes pink slime, that ammonia-based filler for ground beef, has just announced that it will be suspending operations at three of its four plants:

www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALe...

Why are they doing this?  Because of public concern, says the company's director of food safety.

But, are these suspensions really warrented?  Apparently, the product has in the past been declared 'safe' by federal food regulators.  And one food safety lawyer from Seattle, who had visited the Beef Products factory in South Dakora, thought that it operated with the highest standards of cleanliness.

www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-...

On the other hand, though, this same lawyer referred to the so-called 'pink slime' products as 'gross.'      

The U.S. Dept of Agriculture is going to begin offering schools alternatives to pink slime, and parents are asking school districts to simply stop serving the stuff now.

www.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/education/sch...

Is this all nothing more than a tempest in a teapot?  Or is pink slime really as unhealthy and pure gross-out disgusting as it has been portrayed?       



 They should at least let people know what going into their mouth; Don't be having people guessing. They said that Clone chicken doesn't have to be label. But if I'm on an organic or Kosher diet, I'll like to know.


www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/con...


www.examiner.com/nutrition-in-sacramento...


 




You got that right!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook