Page 4 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 7:53PM #31
arielg

"Two hundred thirty six jobs lost with what I've been told is a salary close to $50,000 a year, that's going to be something over $11 million not rolling around in our community," said Paul Pfeifer, President, First National Bank of Holcomb. "And, as a general rule of thumb, is that it rolls over five to seven times, so you even take the bottom of that at five times and that's $55 million that's not rolling around in our community. That's huge."

So?  If we get rid of the maffia and drug cartels that would put a lot of people out of work too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:02PM #32
christine3

Mar 27, 2012 -- 7:47PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Pink slime is a slang word for a type of  mechanically recovered meat product. It's also known as boneless lean beef trimmings or lean finely textured beef, and is an industrial byproduct created from low quality beef trimmings treated with  ammonia gas to render it acceptable for food health standards

There never was ammonium hydroxide in meat when my mother was a girl.  This has become necessary because cattle are raised in feedlots.  Before they are butchered they live in small areas and lie in their own feces.  The fat next to the hide that is contaminated with feces during hide removal has to be treated to kill bacteria that gets on the fat from the hide.  Also, meat factory workers have been 'cut to the bone' (no pun intended) to save factory owners money.  Just as in the poultry industry, intestines get nicked more often when working faster than they safely should.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:03PM #33
REteach

I really hope some of you do not take antibiotics when you have an infection. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 8:20PM #34
Esdraelon

Mar 27, 2012 -- 8:03PM, REteach wrote:

I really hope some of you do not take antibiotics when you have an infection. 

Why? Yeast?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:00PM #35
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 7:33PM, christine3 wrote:

Pink slime’ is beef trimmings. It is made from waste trimmings that are simmered at a low heat until the fat separates from the muscle.It is run through a machine to separate the fat and muscle then it is sent through pipes where it is sprayed with ammonia before being packaged into meat bricks. The bricks are then frozen and sent to grocery stores where it is added to most ground beef as a filler.

Do you have a source for that?

If the ground meat you buy at a store has fillers in it, that must be on the label.

Now, you must tell us how the above, if true, is harmful.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 12:55PM
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:01PM #36
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 7:45PM, arielg wrote:

...There is no need to have a lab and study these elements to know it is trash and will bring cumulative long term problems.

There is. Without those studies all you have is more hysteria.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:08PM #37
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 8:02PM, christine3 wrote:

There never was ammonium hydroxide in meat when my mother was a girl.

That's true, and more people died from E coli then too.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 12:56PM

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:11PM #38
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2012 -- 7:47PM, Fodaoson wrote:

...There are four other plant closing with  similar economic/job related  results.  To replace the recovered lean meat will require an additional 1.5 million head of cattle  and a rise in beef prices

Jobs, and people's lives, mean nothing to these people. They just want to push their agenda and feel superior about it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:42PM #39
solfeggio

What all of this comes down to is the suitability for human consumption of bovine muscle tissue, commonly known as beef.

And eating beef has become problematic in recent years.

Once upon a time, cattle, which are foraging animals, ate grass, which is their natural food.  Nowadays, at least in the U.S., almost all cattle are fed grain in feedlots.  Why?  Because it is more profitable.

www.pbs.org/independentlens/kingcorn/cow...

Because grain is not a proper food for cattle, they must be fed large quantities of antibiotics, growth hormones, and protein supplements, along with the enormous quantities of corn, for the steer to grow big enough (1200 lbs) and fat enough for slaughter.

Since this is not a natural food for them, the cattle develop feedlot bloat, acidosis, ulcers, liver disease, and a weakened immune system.  Therefore, they must be fed more antibiotics to combat the various conditions, which leads to the development of anti-biotic-resistant bacteria.

onlygrassfed.com/pasture-vs-feedlot.html

Meat from grassfed cattle should be healthier, but then you have to factor in the fact that the grass those cattle are eating has been treated with fertilisers and herbicides.

Then, of course, you have the fact that the grasslands in the U.S. are not big enough to support all the cattle needed to feed the huge appetites of Americans for beef.  And, even if they were, the very fact of them means enormous quantities of methane gases are released into the atmosphere by the cattle, which damages the environment.  And methane is a far more potent gas than carbon dioxide.

Even if the grassfed cattle live more natural lives than those of the feedlots, their deaths are all the same: cruel and horrific.

And by the way, American beef has been banned in Europe.  Why?  Because of the hormones.

www.preventcancer.com/consumers/general/...

www.organicconsumers.org/Toxic/hormone_b...

American beef?  Even if I did eat meat, no way would I go anywhere near it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2012 - 9:57PM #40
christine3

Mar 27, 2012 -- 9:08PM, mountain_man wrote:

Mar 27, 2012 -- 8:02PM, christine3 wrote:

There never was ammonium hydroxide in meat when my mother was a girl.

That's true, and more people died from E coli then too.

I lived 1/8 mile from a feedlot when I was attending the university in Davis,CA.  

I've been looking for stats of estimated deaths in the early 1900s to present.  I'm not finding anything at cursory search.  Why don't you look it up?  

My mother and 6 brothers and sisters. They raised their own beef, pigs and chickens.  They didn't die of E. coli.  It was a small family operation.

Every year, many thousands of pounds of ground beef are recalled.

www.powered-by-produce.com/2011/02/24/gr...

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Mar 28, 2012 - 12:57PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook